Re: [art_education] Consider all options & practicalities before a drastic reloc

  • Ada S
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2002
      I was actually only considering teaching in the NYC area, since I personally
      love the city and wouldn't want to move. After further research into art
      education career I found out that the best way for me to go might be to
      start in private schools, since they seem to have great art and photography
      programs. They also do not require a certificate, but the salaries are much
      much lower. The city also offers a lot of non-traditional oportunities in
      Art Education as well as Art Therapy (something I have been interested in as
      well and taken some classes in)

      I went to college in Savannah, GA and four years in south made me realize
      that I would never, ever leave the East coast again. The attitudes agains
      arts are much different down there and I believe that they might differ from
      region to region. I think what I was looking for was to network with other
      art educators. Possibly share their experiences about teaching art while
      pursuing their own creativity. What made me interested by this profession is
      the great opportunity for making a change, for doing something that trully
      matters. But I also believe that if one of our dreams doesn't come true we
      create another and pursue that one. As a creative person, I pursue life with
      all its opportunities. After all...it is really hard to put your heart into
      something that does not bring you satisfaction. And yes...I believe in
      fighting, because sometimes we can make the difference, but other times we
      might not be able to break through the wall. That is where we shift and
      begin to pursue something else.

      Thank you so much for everyones responses, it is definitelly giving me a
      different view.

      Ada