Re: Women's conference

  • kamla ravikumar
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21 7:40 AM
      Hi,
      It is International Women's Day on 8 March 2012.You could sensitize the mothers & daughters to womens issues through art.How do you interpret such issues through your paintings?Discuss the issues first .Ask them to suggest and make it an interactive discussion.Then let them come forward with ideas on how each one would like to interpret their thoughts on paper.If you keep some art materials each one may come up with a masterpieceof their thoughts and interpretations.Rape,Divorce,obesity effects a woman's psyche in a big way.Art is the stress buster....and one way to highlight such issues.

      In India we have many issues most prominent among them being Female Infanticide.In villages many mothers dont want a female child because dowry system still exists, although it is against the law.So when a female child is born it is discarded in a garbage bin outside the hospital gates.It is so unfortunate that such things exist even in the this century.
      The girl child is kept at home to help the mother in household chores while the male child is sent to school with the hope that he will earn money for the family.What crime did the girl commit that she is denied education?

      I hope my points will help your group.

      Kamla

    • Jane
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23 4:51 AM
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ayalafart" <ayalafart@...> wrote:

        > Dear teachers of art,
        > I've been asked to do an art lesson for a group of mothers/daughters
        (grandmas too). I've been asked to present something inspiring or
        empowering. I will have three groups of about 25-30 participants. The
        art session is to last 45 minutes each so I would like to something "
        hands on". HELP. I don't have any ideas yet. The women's conference is
        at the end of march. I was told that I could purchase some supplies too.
        > Thanks
        > Frank

        Another idea would be connections between the generations. They could
        reflect on similarities or differences such as geographical spaces, time
        periods-clothing, careers, home life, cultural -food-craft,
        children-extended family, schooling, 'heroic' events...This could be
        expressed in a portrait-could even be abstract using a collage of
        colors/words/images, a painting, drawing or scuplture.
      • Robin Mitchell
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23 5:36 AM
          how about mandalas....circle art....and after you present how many ancient societies used them....have them make a personal one with their symbols...Robin

          > I've been asked to do an art lesson for a group of mothers/daughters
          (grandmas too). I've been asked to present something inspiring or
          empowering. I will have three groups of about 25-30 participants. The
          art session is to last 45 minutes each so I would like to something "
          hands on". HELP. I don't have any ideas yet. The women's conference is
          at the end of march. I was told that I could purchase some supplies too.
          > Thanks
          > Frank

          Another idea would be connections between the generations. They could
          reflect on similarities or differences such as geographical spaces, time
          periods-clothing, careers, home life, cultural -food-craft,
          children-extended family, schooling, 'heroic' events...This could be
          expressed in a portrait-could even be abstract using a collage of
          colors/words/images, a painting, drawing or scuplture.

        • muscles3
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 23 6:13 AM

            From:Jane <flcreate@...>
            Date:February 23, 2012 7:51:37 AM EST
            To:art_education@yahoogroups.com
            I would purchase some white aprons and have the participants embellish with paint or embroidery a favorite receipe handed down from the family. Have them bring photos or any other reminder of memories.

            Robin Hartmann
            The NEw School Montessori
            Cincinnati, Ohio

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ayalafart" <ayalafart@...> wrote:

            > Dear teachers of art,
            > I've been asked to do an art lesson for a group of mothers/daughters
            (grandmas too). I've been asked to present something inspiring or
            empowering. I will have three groups of about 25-30 participants. The
            art session is to last 45 minutes each so I would like to something "
            hands on". HELP. I don't have any ideas yet. The women's conference is
            at the end of march. I was told that I could purchase some supplies too.
            > Thanks
            > Frank

            Another idea would be connections between the generations. They could
            reflect on similarities or differences such as geographical spaces, time
            periods-clothing, careers, home life, cultural -food-craft,
            children-extended family, schooling, 'heroic' events...This could be
            expressed in a portrait-could even be abstract using a collage of
            colors/words/images, a painting, drawing or scuplture.

          • Robin Hartmann
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 23 3:05 PM
              I thought I sent this out this morning, but it never went out. How about you purchase plain white aprons and have them embellish with paint or embroider or if you use crayons and iron over it( use a cloth to protect the iron) they could draw or write family receipes or their favorite memory of a family get- together.
              Robin Hartmann
              The New School Montessori

              Sent from my iPhone