Need ideas for exhibit

  • Linda Daumen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2012
      Hi all,

      I was reading and looking at the  school installation of one of the members and it was really nice!

      We, in our small rural county will be putting up a county wide exhibit very soon and have very little money to spend. The community building in which we are going to hang this art has new walls and we are not allowed to pin,nail,tape or anything else to the walls. YIKES!

      They have installed rods(pipes) that run around the walls in one line at about 9 ft off the floor. My only solution is to mount the art to 6ft long bulletin board paper and reinforce the top back w/tape and then hole punch every foot or so and then hang with shower hooks.

      Does anyone out there have a better idea?
      Thanks, Linda in VA
    • Jill Petrovic

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2012
          Hi,
          You need to get S-hooks that can go around the pipes and come out for you to loop the thread through.Use a long pole to latch the thread on to the S-hook from which you can hang several paintings one over the other ...as it is done in bigger galleries.

          Kamla
          Chennai,
          India
        • Kathleen Maledon
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2012
            another way is to mount everything on butcher paper and attach the butcher paper to the floors and ceilings. k

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 23, 2012
              This may not work for you but here's what I do.  Our show is in the gym.  We put up 4 of the volleyball poles in a diamond shape in our gym.  I string clothesline cord through the very top holes from pole to pole and then down through the holes a little lower on the poles.  I use those black office clips to hang the artwork across both levels of cord.  I can get about 200 pieces of artwork hung on that. They key is to pull the cord very tight so that it doesn't sag with the weight of the artwork.  Hope that helps a little.
              Kelli in NE
            • Linda Daumen
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 24, 2012
                Great idea....I was thinking about clothesline and the space does serve as a gym sometimes..I'll check to see if there are volleyball poles there. I also appreciate the S hook suggestion and we using that as well. We hang about 1,500 pieces of art. Thanks everyone!

                This may not work for you but here's what I do.  Our show is in the gym.  We put up 4 of the volleyball poles in a diamond shape in our gym.  I string clothesline cord through the very top holes from pole to pole and then down through the holes a little lower on the poles.  I use those black office clips to hang the artwork across both levels of cord.  I can get about 200 pieces of artwork hung on that. They key is to pull the cord very tight so that it doesn't sag with the weight of the artwork.  Hope that helps a little.
                Kelli in NE
              • robinesp
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2012
                  HI,
                  I have use the folded lunchroom tables to hang art onto since I couldn't put things on the walls in the gym. It worked out well and I could roll them around too! Ahhh the things we do for art's sake!
                  Robin

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Linda Daumen <ldaumen@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I was reading and looking at the  school installation of one of the members and it was really nice!
                  >
                  > We, in our small rural county will be putting up a county wide exhibit very soon and have very little money to spend. The community building in which we are going to hang this art has new walls and we are not allowed to pin,nail,tape or anything else to the walls. YIKES!
                  >
                  > They have installed rods(pipes) that run around the walls in one line at about 9 ft off the floor. My only solution is to mount the art to 6ft long bulletin board paper and reinforce the top back w/tape and then hole punch every foot or so and then hang with shower hooks.
                  >
                  > Does anyone out there have a better idea?
                  > Thanks, Linda in VA

                • Linda Daumen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
                    Hi,
                    Thanks Robin. That is a great idea but no lunch room tables. This site is not on school property. But... you are right what we won't do for art's sake and for the students! Linda

                    I have use the folded lunchroom tables to hang art onto since I couldn't put things on the walls in the gym. It worked out well and I could roll them around too! Ahhh the things we do for art's sake!
                    Robin

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Linda Daumen <ldaumen@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > I was reading and looking at the  school installation of one of the members and it was really nice!
                    >
                    > We, in our small rural county will be putting up a county wide exhibit very soon and have very little money to spend. The community building in which we are going to hang this art has new walls and we are not allowed to pin,nail,tape or anything else to the walls. YIKES!
                    >
                    > They have installed rods(pipes) that run around the walls in one line at about 9 ft off the floor. My only solution is to mount the art to 6ft long bulletin board paper and reinforce the top back w/tape and then hole punch every foot or so and then hang with shower hooks.
                    >
                    > Does anyone out there have a better idea?
                    > Thanks, Linda in VA

                  • Elizabeth Vetne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
                      I just put together an exhibition for my students with very little money!

                      I had large pieces of cardboard and I cut slits in the side and put some twine through the slits, so there was a tight piece of string going across. Then, I used binder clips/paper clips to attach their art to the string. This is good for drawings, not so much for canvas or heavier pieces of art, but it was nice because I was able to just prop the large pieces of cardboard up on some tables against the wall and not worry about poking holes in the walls... it also made transportation very easy because I had the kids set up the boards beforehand. You might want to consider going to home depot and getting large pieces of masonite or plywood or something more sturdy than cardboard... they will cut it down to size for you and everything :-)

                      I've attached a photo... not the best because the exhibit was in our cafeteria just during report card conferences, but you get the idea!

                      -Elizabeth

                      Inline image 1
                    • Linda Daumen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
                        Hey,

                        That is very clever...thanks we may tinker around with theis idea. I hope your exhibit was a success!
                        Linda