Brass and Copper for Armour Trim

  • sirtsclan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2012
      Re: Brass and Copper for Armour Trim Repost
      (Reposted with permission.)

      I've had to apply the understanding of brass to the arms I'm working on in that any adjacent color to another such as gold will influence its appearance.

      ...using black of a helmet background for gold trim did make the gold added appear like brass.

      I've updated my graphics with a dark brown background for crest coronet to give a more realistic gold coloration. Helmet gold trim has been left without brown border and according to thought doesn't really need it.

      Gary Smith

      --- In armourguild@yahoogroups.com, Charles Anderson <charlesanderson@...> wrote:

      On 5/02/2012 12:18 AM, sirtsclan wrote: Are modern armourers using brass as trim or was it always trimmed that way? How long has brass been used as a trim metal?

      In heraldry the trim is gold because of immitation that higher ranks wore the valuable metal.

      Thanks,

      Gary Smith

      Brass has been around for a loooong time. Modern armourers use brass, because gold is expensive and true bronze doesn't come in sheet form.

      You will also see a lot of dark age armourers using brass, silicon bronze, or phosphor bronze for economic and convenience reasons.

      Regards Charles from Oz