6th grade color wheel painting project alterative for CTT students having difficulty working together/following instructions

  • A. Thielke
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2012
      I am teaching my 6th grade students about the color wheel by having
      them create Color Wheel Name Designs. I think I got the idea from the
      IAD. The students are writing their names, dividing the page into 6
      sections and painting the negative space of each section according to
      the color wheel and then the positive space is the complementary
      color. After the painting is complete the students will be applying
      patterns with marker. Its a cool project and the kids seem excited
      about it.

      However, I have a class 6th grade CTT class that is very wiggly,
      argumentative, and has a hard time cooperating with one another enough
      to complete the tasks I set out for them in their 42 minute period. It
      doesnt help that they have art the last period of the day right after
      a double period of math. I am thinking that the students should have a
      different project to learn about the color wheel altogether. I was
      thinking about using red, yellow and cyan transparency paper but we
      don't have any on hand. We do have a lot of tissue paper. If the
      tissue paper is the kind that bleeds, it could be a really cool
      project. Does anyone have any experience with bleeding tissue paper
      collages? What kind of motivation/goals could set for the students to
      assure they grasp the concepts of primary, secondary, complementary,
      the color wheel and mixing?

      Thanks for your help and ideas!
      Angela
    • Bindy
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2012
        We do have a lot of tissue paper. If the
        > tissue paper is the kind that bleeds, it could be a really cool
        > project. Does anyone have any experience with bleeding tissue paper
        > collages?
        I don't have any experience with tissue paper that DOESN'T bleed. So tissue paper would be excellent material to use as rough edge college, teaching the color wheel. We use regular Elmer's glue when working with tissue paper.
        I'm rather fond of non-conventional color wheels. As long as the concept is grasped, I don't see why it HAS to be a circle :) You can get them draw lines all over the paper (wiggly, wavy, and curvy are fine) and starting from three places distinct areas on the poster-board, add the solid colors, then let them overlap the materials as they get closer and closer to the other primary colors. So the centers are often the black and deep browns instead of the outsides. Depending on the level of the class, the students will outline their work in black to separate the colors out, simply point them out orally, or place arrows labeling the colors of the color wheel.

        What kind of motivation/goals could set for the students to
        > assure they grasp the concepts of primary, secondary, complementary,
        > the color wheel and mixing?
        We use a ticket system, where kids earn tickets for doing things correctly, working well, doing an outstanding job, cleaning up (I give the most tickets for cleaning and completely tasks.), excertia. At the end of the semester or quarter, if I'm feeling generous, they get to put the tickets they earn into cups to win specific items- totally small often insignificant stuff. The funniest things will be the most desired. Like I often have a hat I wear, and I'll raffle that hat off. Next semester I have to get a new baseball cap, but when I see the kids wearing them, it's like we have this connection and that's cool.
        Regards,
        Brandy