Re: Ancient Greece projects for 6th grade

  • Paul Lambermont
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
      Make print foam printing plates featuring famous Greek buildings and architectural elements such as the Doric, Ionic and Cortinthian Orders. Print those on translucent colored vellum. Over lap the prints on a display board. Affix them with clear plastic  push pins.

      Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds. And don’t hate nobody.

      --Eubie Blake

      myspace.com/plambermont

      http://tenlivesinqueenscounty.blogspot.com/2010/07/by-products-of-editing-and-layout.html

      http://lambermont-lambermont.blogspot.com

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/plambermont/
    • Trish
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
        I did a project with oil pastel greek vase scratchboard. Here is the link:

        http://pckcsartclass.blogspot.com/search/label/oil%20pastel%20scratchboard

        Trisha Ackerman
        Middle school Educator
        Parker Core Knowledge Charter School
        http://artisticjourneys-trish.blogspot.com/
        http://pckcsartclass.blogspot.com/
        Parker, Colorado
      • Kathleen Maledon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2012
           I like the greek vases: sponged orange/rust paint on all tagboard areas not to be black,
          blk sharpies for the design/scene.  I stress accurate (what the Gr. were doing) on the
          vases.  Mount on forest green paper with squares of marble contact paper on the
          green.  A lot of teaching can go into doing this.  I've also done  purple/blue watercolors
          on white butcher paper to denote the temples, etc.  -- negative space is used.  k
          On Jan 12, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Jennifer Freck wrote:

          Hi everyone!

          We have put together an art docent program over at the middle school and so far it's going well...the past two years we've focused on Ancient Rome and mosaics for our project but this year we're looking to change it up together and focus on Ancient Greece.  Any ideas for a project for 6th graders?  We first present a powerpoint that reinforces the ancient cultures curriculum mat'l and also introduces the art that was created during that era.  Then a hands-on project.

          Thanks so much!
          Jenna
          Alameda, CA

        • LINDA WOODS
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2012
            We did our Greek vases as crayon engravings on old manila folders as our paper. We did not just stick to red or black amphoras, however; the the kids had seen those in the lesson. For our take on the vases, kids made random squiggles and filled in the shapes with bright loud crayon colors. Then we colored black oil pastel on top and carved through the black oil pastel to the crayon designs. They were beautiful bright and colorful vases ....wild crayon colors engraved out with black background. We cut the vases out and glued them to a piece of white paper with a piece of Eric Carle style painted patterend paper as a strip for a tablecloth. Super graphic looking on the wall.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@...> wrote:

            > I like the greek vases: sponged orange/rust paint on all tagboard
            > areas not to be black,
            > blk sharpies for the design/scene. I stress accurate (what the Gr.
            > were doing) on the
            > vases. Mount on forest green paper with squares of marble contact
            > paper on the
            > green. A lot of teaching can go into doing this. I've also done
            > purple/blue watercolors
            > on white butcher paper to denote the temples, etc. -- negative space
            > is used. k
            > On Jan 12, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Jennifer Freck wrote:
            >

            > > Hi everyone!
            > >
            > > We have put together an art docent program over at the middle school
            > > and so far it's going well...the past two years we've focused on
            > > Ancient Rome and mosaics for our project but this year we're looking
            > > to change it up together and focus on Ancient Greece. Any ideas for
            > > a project for 6th graders? We first present a powerpoint that
            > > reinforces the ancient cultures curriculum mat'l and also introduces
            > > the art that was created during that era. Then a hands-on project.
            > >
            > > Thanks so much!
            > > Jenna
            > > Alameda, CA

          • Kathleen Doherty
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2012
              I have been making Greek vases with 5th graders using orange construction paper and black sharpies.  We look at examples of Greek vases and copy simple designs from the reference vases in their sketchbooks.  The students then cut out their vases and draw in the Greek designs, leaving the cener space open for an illustration of a myth.  I read myths to the syudents while they work on their designs (they love being read to.) The students illustrate the myth of their choice on their vase.  We recently took our students to the Met in NYC and they spent a large part of their visit looking at the Greek vases, amazed to see designs they had drawn on 2,000 year old vases.  It was a great experience for them.
              I also do a lesson on the orders of Columns - Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian.  I begin the unit with a PowerPoint of local buildings with the different orders of columns.  After that the students are always coming in my room with reports of specefic types of columns from different buildings in town asking me to take a picture and include in the PowerPoint.  The students draw a triumphal arch about their accomplishments with a photo of themselves in a toga walking through the arch as a hands on activity for the unit.