Re: Special needs project

  • wymystic
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2012

      Hello, Hiromi and everyone!

      Thank you so much for asking the question, Hiromi--and thanks to everyone who has responded!  I, too, work with a group of 9 special needs students (and their three paras) who attend an arts & crafts class I teach in high school with 18 regular students.  At times, I've been at an utter loss as to what to plan that is meaningful and "do-able" for these students.  So, I've been eagerly reading your suggestions!

      I am planning on doing a texture project -- giving them plasticine clay and having them create a tile ... (I will make the molds and do a ceramic clay positive and fire it for them.)  I'm also planning on introducing collaged shapes and collaged textures, using paper, fabric, mesh, etc.

        I have done two relatively successful projects: 1) yarn painting, and 2) a variation on that idea:

      To prepare the variation, I drew shapes and/or very basic pictures on stiff paper with Elmer's glue (so that when the glue was dry,  the two blind students could feel where the lines / shapes were). Then I had them color the shapes with markers or crayons -- For the more advanced, I stipulated "primary colors" ... "warm" ... "cool" "monochromatic."  For the others, I was pleased that they just attempted to color the shapes and, at times, the paper table cloth (as opposed to themselves). That was about all they could handle--a few of these students were able only to make random marks, or gaze around the room.

        So, PLEASE keep your wonderful ideas coming!!! I need ALL the help I can get!

      Thanks again ~
      Blessings
      Doris

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hiromi" <hromip7@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with that...anything would be so helpful.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Hiromi

    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
        Hi Doris,
        Have you thought of having your "gen. ed." students work with the special needs students? I would think all involved would get a lot of satisfaction out of it! Ali

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "wymystic" <Jungrav3n@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Hiromi and everyone!
        >
        > Thank you so much for asking the question, Hiromi--and thanks to
        > everyone who has responded! I, too, work with a group of 9 special
        > needs students (and their three paras) who attend an arts & crafts class
        > I teach in high school with 18 regular students. At times, I've been at
        > an utter loss as to what to plan that is meaningful and "do-able" for
        > these students. So, I've been eagerly reading your suggestions!
        >
        > I am planning on doing a texture project -- giving them plasticine clay
        > and having them create a tile ... (I will make the molds and do a
        > ceramic clay positive and fire it for them.) I'm also planning on
        > introducing collaged shapes and collaged textures, using paper, fabric,
        > mesh, etc.
        >
        > I have done two relatively successful projects: 1) yarn painting, and
        > 2) a variation on that idea:
        >
        > To prepare the variation, I drew shapes and/or very basic pictures on
        > stiff paper with Elmer's glue (so that when the glue was dry, the two
        > blind students could feel where the lines / shapes were). Then I had
        > them color the shapes with markers or crayons -- For the more advanced,
        > I stipulated "primary colors" ... "warm" ... "cool" "monochromatic."
        > For the others, I was pleased that they just attempted to color the
        > shapes and, at times, the paper table cloth (as opposed to themselves).
        > That was about all they could handle--a few of these students were able
        > only to make random marks, or gaze around the room.
        >
        > So, PLEASE keep your wonderful ideas coming!!! I need ALL the help I
        > can get!
        >
        > Thanks again ~
        > Blessings
        > Doris
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hiromi" <hromip7@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Everyone,
        > >
        > > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for
        > my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years
        > old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've
        > already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic
        > air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with
        > that...anything would be so helpful.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Hiromi

      • wymystic
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2012
          HI, Ali ~

          Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. Thank you for the
          suggestion. I've mentioned it to the special ed teacher ...

          Blessings
          Doris
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart"