Copyright of audio visual materials - see Act in 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2012
      Greetings All,

      It seems copying DVD's is a bit fuzzy now.... Schools/libraries USED
      to be able to make a copy - and archive the original. From what I
      read, this may no longer be legal (unless special license has been
      obtained). I forget what the decision was called - but it was in 2004
      (Digital Copyright Act of sorts).

      Here is one link:
      http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/copy-corner69.htm

      Schools/Libraries may be able to make back-up copies, but a special
      license is required. What ever....the schools/libraries may NOT give
      away the original. The original must be kept as archive copy. That was
      always part of the "law".

      So, to be 100% legal - if Stephanie wants to give away the unwanted
      VHS tapes, she would have to buy the DVD's she wants for the programs
      she still wishes to use.

      The same ruling applied for transferring slides to CD's - original
      slide must be kept as archive copy.