Special needs project

  • Hiromi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
      Hello Everyone,

      I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with that...anything would be so helpful.

      Thanks
      Hiromi
    • Lynch, Jamie

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
          Hello Hiromi,

          I have an idea that may be fun for all ages.  I used watered-down tempra paint in a spray bottle on various colored paper or white paper.  Layering colors is also fun.  It's not that messy when you work inside a shirt box.  Just practice to make sure the spray nozzle stays clear. Adjusting the spray pressure varies the effect but can be drippy. Stencils can be used with older students.  Using the student's initial as a stencil is a neat idea.  Shapes are great for younger kids.  Have fun!                                                                                                           Dawn B. Kansas City, MO

          I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with that...anything would be so helpful.

          Thanks
          Hiromi

        • aliteachesart
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2012
            Hi Hiromi,

            I have found working with open ended collage items has been very successful with all students of various developmental levels. Also printmaking has been a real hit too. I have had students make simple poems to go along with their projects, which can be very powerful when displayed. Self-portraits are always good too. If your artists have aides helping them make sure they know it's OK not to be representational and marks and circles are beautiful too.

            Have fun! Hope this helps, ALi B.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hiromi" <hromip7@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with that...anything would be so helpful.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Hiromi

          • wymystic
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2012

              Hello, Hiromi and everyone!

              Thank you so much for asking the question, Hiromi--and thanks to everyone who has responded!  I, too, work with a group of 9 special needs students (and their three paras) who attend an arts & crafts class I teach in high school with 18 regular students.  At times, I've been at an utter loss as to what to plan that is meaningful and "do-able" for these students.  So, I've been eagerly reading your suggestions!

              I am planning on doing a texture project -- giving them plasticine clay and having them create a tile ... (I will make the molds and do a ceramic clay positive and fire it for them.)  I'm also planning on introducing collaged shapes and collaged textures, using paper, fabric, mesh, etc.

                I have done two relatively successful projects: 1) yarn painting, and 2) a variation on that idea:

              To prepare the variation, I drew shapes and/or very basic pictures on stiff paper with Elmer's glue (so that when the glue was dry,  the two blind students could feel where the lines / shapes were). Then I had them color the shapes with markers or crayons -- For the more advanced, I stipulated "primary colors" ... "warm" ... "cool" "monochromatic."  For the others, I was pleased that they just attempted to color the shapes and, at times, the paper table cloth (as opposed to themselves). That was about all they could handle--a few of these students were able only to make random marks, or gaze around the room.

                So, PLEASE keep your wonderful ideas coming!!! I need ALL the help I can get!

              Thanks again ~
              Blessings
              Doris

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hiromi" <hromip7@...> wrote:

              > Hello Everyone,
              >
              > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with that...anything would be so helpful.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Hiromi

            • aliteachesart
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
                Hi Doris,
                Have you thought of having your "gen. ed." students work with the special needs students? I would think all involved would get a lot of satisfaction out of it! Ali

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "wymystic" <Jungrav3n@...> wrote:

                > Hello, Hiromi and everyone!
                >
                > Thank you so much for asking the question, Hiromi--and thanks to
                > everyone who has responded! I, too, work with a group of 9 special
                > needs students (and their three paras) who attend an arts & crafts class
                > I teach in high school with 18 regular students. At times, I've been at
                > an utter loss as to what to plan that is meaningful and "do-able" for
                > these students. So, I've been eagerly reading your suggestions!
                >
                > I am planning on doing a texture project -- giving them plasticine clay
                > and having them create a tile ... (I will make the molds and do a
                > ceramic clay positive and fire it for them.) I'm also planning on
                > introducing collaged shapes and collaged textures, using paper, fabric,
                > mesh, etc.
                >
                > I have done two relatively successful projects: 1) yarn painting, and
                > 2) a variation on that idea:
                >
                > To prepare the variation, I drew shapes and/or very basic pictures on
                > stiff paper with Elmer's glue (so that when the glue was dry, the two
                > blind students could feel where the lines / shapes were). Then I had
                > them color the shapes with markers or crayons -- For the more advanced,
                > I stipulated "primary colors" ... "warm" ... "cool" "monochromatic."
                > For the others, I was pleased that they just attempted to color the
                > shapes and, at times, the paper table cloth (as opposed to themselves).
                > That was about all they could handle--a few of these students were able
                > only to make random marks, or gaze around the room.
                >
                > So, PLEASE keep your wonderful ideas coming!!! I need ALL the help I
                > can get!
                >
                > Thanks again ~
                > Blessings
                > Doris
                >
                > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hiromi" <hromip7@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Everyone,
                > >
                > > I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that theyd like to share for
                > my special.needs students. I work.with all age groups.from 5 to 22 years
                > old so finding an universal.project becomes a tad difficult. I've
                > already done mosaics, some splatter art, crayon resistance, some basic
                > air dry sculpture. Maybe a theme, and then I can run with
                > that...anything would be so helpful.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > Hiromi

              • wymystic
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 22, 2012
                  HI, Ali ~

                  Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. Thank you for the
                  suggestion. I've mentioned it to the special ed teacher ...

                  Blessings
                  Doris
                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart"