Re: [art_education] Re: Christmas in Chennai

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2011
      How wonderful to have a broadminded approach to celebrating!! Everyone can join in the happiness! Thank you for sharing this. I learned a great deal and enjoyed reading about your customs.

      MaryAnn
      On Dec 27, 2011, at 3:09 AM, kamla ravikumar wrote:

      Hi Ken,

      We used to have 28 states in India .Recently three new states were formed.Most of Northern India speaks Hindi while they know the local dialect.In South India we have four different languages too.As regards schools due to the British influence all schools have English as the medium of teaching and communication.Those who prefer to go to vernacular schools, still do so, but they find it difficult to get jobs.

      So we have a lot of English medium schools, some of them managed by missionaries.I studied in a Missionary school and learnt to do the sign of the cross  say my morning  prayers with the nuns in school while I also learnt my Hindu prayers at home.
      So in India there is this very broad minded approach to celebrating festivals.Christmas is celebrated by all Hindus and Christians with the same fervour as Diwali.We also get to eat the Biryani for Muslim festivals from our Muslim friends.While the Hindus may not go to church they exchange greetings with Christian friends in the same mood as they would for Diwali.

      When my children were very young I used to teach them to decorate the Christmas tree at home and they used to look forward to their gifts.
      We used to use cotton wool for snow on our Christmas tree!!Since Chennai never gets snow!!

      Becuase of the diversity in our country the braodminded approach to all festivals is very high too.

      Kamla
      Chennai,India