Triptych- "The Things We Worship" by Annalee Davis

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2011
      Greetings Art Educators,

      I don't remember for what grade level you are looking for a lesson on
      Triptychs....

      I did a triptych lesson for two years with my 8th graders - to tie in
      with Renaissance Art - AND explorers (and a research project they had
      to do for 8th grade Social Studies). Other years, we did shadow boxes
      (as the prep work was easier for me - and more affordable for me. I
      bought - and cut - Masonite for the triptychs. I used heavy corrugated
      cardboard for the shadow boxes.).

      For the triptychs, I used this work by Annalee Davis from Barbados -
      and religious altar pieces from Renaissance.
      http://www.annaleedavis.com/workdetailed/worship.html
      I "discovered" her work in the book: Caribbean Visions: Contemporary
      Painting and Sculpture (Copyright 1995 Art Services International,
      Alexandria Virginia).

      Students did a "hero" of their choice (or could select an explorer).
      They had to do a research project on a person for social studies. They
      used their artwork done in my class for an illustration for the
      project.

      The actual lesson plan is quite lengthy. It would be better for you to
      write your own - but please do use the idea of "Heroes". I triptych is
      a suitable way to honor a hero. Some of taken my lesson and changed it
      to self portraits - another great use for the triptych - a "personal
      shrine".

      Hope this helps spark some ideas.