Re: recommend online photo book?

  • catyo55
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
      I really like the format of the Blurb books I've made. I actually prefer that I download their software instead of making the book online like some of the other companies. This means that I can sort through all the pictures on my computer while I make the book and then only spend the time to upload my final book. When making the book online, it's tedious to import all the photos, especially if I don't decide to use them all.
      In my experience, Blurb books are high quality for their cost. They also have options for longer books than some other companies. I originally starting using Blurb when I created a 200 page photo book of my time living in Central America. At the time, I had looked into Shutterfly, but wasn't going to be able to include enough pages in the book to fit in everything I wanted.
      I have heard the Apple books are nice, but that they are quite costly.
      Have fun!

      Caitlin
      www.adventuresinhondoland.blogspot.com
      www.arttteacher.yolasite.com

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...> wrote:

      > I want to make an online photo book that is reasonably priced that has
      > templates/options.
      > I've seen Walgreens, Blurb, Snapfish, Costco, Lulu, and others. I've
      > seen too many, I think!
      > Wondering what you recommend for the all around best price and
      > flexibility?
      > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      > MaryAnn Kohl
      > blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
      > website: www.brightring.com

    • MARYANN KOHL
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
        Thanks for the advice on photo books -- I knew I could count on you!

        I have started a photo book at four or five different places  just to see which ones were most flexible: easiest, fastest and choice of templates, etc. They all have something wonderful! I'm settling on Shutterfly because I like how you can change the page layout page by page without changing the whole book, and the upload of photos has been easy too. I think if I had more time, I would work with My Publisher.

        I also found that Vistaprint has a very cheap "flip book" and that Walgreen's has a "pick it up today" book for $19.

        I learned a lot!! Blurb, Snapfish, Lulu, iPhoto, Walgreens and Costco, and so on... all have something to offer. They are similar, but not the same.

        MaryAnn
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

        On Dec 1, 2011, at 2:51 PM, catyo55 wrote:

        I really like the format of the Blurb books I've made. I actually prefer that I download their software instead of making the book online like some of the other companies. This means that I can sort through all the pictures on my computer while I make the book and then only spend the time to upload my final book. When making the book online, it's tedious to import all the photos, especially if I don't decide to use them all.
        In my experience, Blurb books are high quality for their cost. They also have options for longer books than some other companies. I originally starting using Blurb when I created a 200 page photo book of my time living in Central America. At the time, I had looked into Shutterfly, but wasn't going to be able to include enough pages in the book to fit in everything I wanted.
        I have heard the Apple books are nice, but that they are quite costly.
        Have fun!

        Caitlin
        www.adventuresinhondoland.blogspot.com
        www.arttteacher.yolasite.com

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...> wrote:

        > I want to make an online photo book that is reasonably priced that has
        > templates/options.
        > I've seen Walgreens, Blurb, Snapfish, Costco, Lulu, and others. I've
        > seen too many, I think!
        > Wondering what you recommend for the all around best price and
        > flexibility?
        > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        > MaryAnn Kohl
        > blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
        > website: www.brightring.com

      • MARYANN KOHL
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
          I'm in the middle of using Shutterfly and it is so easy and has many options! You can stuff pages full of photos for no extra charge because they charge by the page not the photos. and they have a 30% off right now. Boy, you can spend a lot of time making these books. LOL
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
          MaryAnn Kohl
          blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog

          On Nov 30, 2011, at 8:03 PM, Ruth Spiro wrote:

          I've used both Blurb and Walgreens, and there is a huge difference in quality.

          If you just want something quick and inexpensive, Walgreens is fine, but you get what you pay for.
          The books I made with Blurb took longer for me to put together and cost substantially more, but the quality of the photos was excellent and the book was sturdier. (I gave them as gifts, so was willing to pay more.) Blurb requires you to download their software, with Walgreens you do it online. The nice thing about Walgreens is that they're ready very quickly, possibly the same day. If you use Walgreens, make sure you get a coupon code, you can usually save 30% or more.

          I guess it just depends what you'll be using them for, but you're right, you have many options!

          Has anyone made a book through iPhoto/Apple? I was thinking of trying that next.

          Good luck!

          Ruth Spiro

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2011
            Just got my finished Shutterfly books, and the quality is magnificent!! As a publisher, I am doubly impressed! I loved the creative changes I could make in Shutterfly... and the templates are really nice too.
            Very very nice.

            MaryAnn
            MaryAnn Kohl
            blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog