Re: [art_education] recommend online photo book?

  • Ruth Spiro
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2011
      I've used both Blurb and Walgreens, and there is a huge difference in quality.
      If you just want something quick and inexpensive, Walgreens is fine, but you get what you pay for.
      The books I made with Blurb took longer for me to put together and cost substantially more, but the quality of the photos was excellent and the book was sturdier. (I gave them as gifts, so was willing to pay more.) Blurb requires you to download their software, with Walgreens you do it online. The nice thing about Walgreens is that they're ready very quickly, possibly the same day. If you use Walgreens, make sure you get a coupon code, you can usually save 30% or more.

      I guess it just depends what you'll be using them for, but you're right, you have many options!

      Has anyone made a book through iPhoto/Apple? I was thinking of trying that next.

      Good luck!

      Ruth Spiro

      On Nov 30, 2011, at 9:45 PM, MARYANN KOHL wrote:

      I want to make an online photo book that is reasonably priced that has templates/options.

      I've seen Walgreens, Blurb, Snapfish, Costco, Lulu, and others. I've seen too many, I think!
      Wondering what you recommend for the all around best price and flexibility?
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn Kohl

    • TriciaF
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
        Hi MaryAnn,

        I used Shutterfly and loved how you can customize everything.
        And, you can embed your finished book on your website or Facebook page to share with others if they can't view your hard copy.

        Here is what my little 8x8 book looked like embeded: http://bit.ly/uCHTtE

        Tricia Fuglestad, IL
      • Joan Maresh Hansen
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
          Thanks for the information regarding online photo books. I am putting together photos of my Terrific Two ( year old ) Grandson.

          I made a beautiful photo book using Apple's  IPhoto. I was experimenting with the smaller version so that I could  bundle and share my student's exemplary work.
          This Portfolio Pack book 1 turned out with rich colors on good quality paper and  it was very economical.

          I am going to look into both Blurb and Walgreens.
          Thanks for the heads up!

          Joan Maresh Hansen
          Visit My Artful Life Blog

        • priorhouse
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
            We have used Shutterfly for almost a decade now - and this company offers (and stands by) a money back guarantee on anything. They also send surprise free offers to customers (just pay shipping) at different times of the year. Also, it seems like they always have fun offers and little deals going on! The quality of Shutterfly products is excellent and they have a lot of options for various photo books.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "TriciaF" <tricia_fuglestad@...> wrote:

            > Hi MaryAnn,
            >
            > I used Shutterfly and loved how you can customize everything.
            > And, you can embed your finished book on your website or Facebook page to share with others if they can't view your hard copy.
            >
            > Here is what my little 8x8 book looked like embeded: http://bit.ly/uCHTtE
            >

            > Tricia Fuglestad, IL

          • catyo55
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
              I really like the format of the Blurb books I've made. I actually prefer that I download their software instead of making the book online like some of the other companies. This means that I can sort through all the pictures on my computer while I make the book and then only spend the time to upload my final book. When making the book online, it's tedious to import all the photos, especially if I don't decide to use them all.
              In my experience, Blurb books are high quality for their cost. They also have options for longer books than some other companies. I originally starting using Blurb when I created a 200 page photo book of my time living in Central America. At the time, I had looked into Shutterfly, but wasn't going to be able to include enough pages in the book to fit in everything I wanted.
              I have heard the Apple books are nice, but that they are quite costly.
              Have fun!

              Caitlin
              www.adventuresinhondoland.blogspot.com
              www.arttteacher.yolasite.com

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...> wrote:

              > I want to make an online photo book that is reasonably priced that has
              > templates/options.
              > I've seen Walgreens, Blurb, Snapfish, Costco, Lulu, and others. I've
              > seen too many, I think!
              > Wondering what you recommend for the all around best price and
              > flexibility?
              > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              > MaryAnn Kohl
              > blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
              > website: www.brightring.com

            • MARYANN KOHL
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
                Thanks for the advice on photo books -- I knew I could count on you!

                I have started a photo book at four or five different places  just to see which ones were most flexible: easiest, fastest and choice of templates, etc. They all have something wonderful! I'm settling on Shutterfly because I like how you can change the page layout page by page without changing the whole book, and the upload of photos has been easy too. I think if I had more time, I would work with My Publisher.

                I also found that Vistaprint has a very cheap "flip book" and that Walgreen's has a "pick it up today" book for $19.

                I learned a lot!! Blurb, Snapfish, Lulu, iPhoto, Walgreens and Costco, and so on... all have something to offer. They are similar, but not the same.

                MaryAnn
                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                On Dec 1, 2011, at 2:51 PM, catyo55 wrote:

                I really like the format of the Blurb books I've made. I actually prefer that I download their software instead of making the book online like some of the other companies. This means that I can sort through all the pictures on my computer while I make the book and then only spend the time to upload my final book. When making the book online, it's tedious to import all the photos, especially if I don't decide to use them all.
                In my experience, Blurb books are high quality for their cost. They also have options for longer books than some other companies. I originally starting using Blurb when I created a 200 page photo book of my time living in Central America. At the time, I had looked into Shutterfly, but wasn't going to be able to include enough pages in the book to fit in everything I wanted.
                I have heard the Apple books are nice, but that they are quite costly.
                Have fun!

                Caitlin
                www.adventuresinhondoland.blogspot.com
                www.arttteacher.yolasite.com

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...> wrote:

                > I want to make an online photo book that is reasonably priced that has
                > templates/options.
                > I've seen Walgreens, Blurb, Snapfish, Costco, Lulu, and others. I've
                > seen too many, I think!
                > Wondering what you recommend for the all around best price and
                > flexibility?
                > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                > MaryAnn Kohl
                > blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
                > website: www.brightring.com

              • MARYANN KOHL

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 12, 2011
                    Just got my finished Shutterfly books, and the quality is magnificent!! As a publisher, I am doubly impressed! I loved the creative changes I could make in Shutterfly... and the templates are really nice too.
                    Very very nice.

                    MaryAnn
                    MaryAnn Kohl
                    blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog