Re: [art_education] Core Curriculum

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20 9:53 PM
      Hirsh's Cultural Literacy book is kind of like a backbone of core. k
      On Nov 20, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Kathy Maloney Johnson wrote:

      Can anyone suggest books about it?

      I am working on a Masters of Liberal Studies. We started by reading ancient Homer's Illiad and Greek Philosophy, then Roman, pre-Christian, Christian writing... philosophy, literature and political theory. I think it's great for my sense as an artist to shore up a sense of the history of western culture.

      Is that the kind of connectedness this new way of teaching is supposed to include? It sounds like a very old way of teaching.

      On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@...> wrote:

      It affects art ed greatly.  Art is supposed to support the spiral curriculum of

      culture, math, etc.  Core gives art masterpieces to be taught (by you or homerm).
      Core teaches appreciation and knowledge of images.  your job is to interweave
      your mandatory curriculum into theirs, i.e. Egyptian culture or crossing the Delaware with line
      or media. It is a different way of teaching.  k

      On Nov 6, 2011, at 2:50 PM, mariannaD wrote:

      Hi-- You may have all discussed this new change in teaching and I have missed it. How will this affect the Fine Arts?

      Kathy Maloney Johnson
      Art Teacher