Re: Teaching art to kindergarteners and firstgraders

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2011
      Hello Violet,

      I too believe TAB is a great way to go, that being said, if you do not have a strong background in art you may want to hold off as truly affective TAB requires a lot of quick thinking, eyes in the back of your head and the ability to be in three places at once (and it is SO worth it when you see the art, problem solving, cooperation and authentic artist behavior). While you build up to this you can start with exploratory centers/stations. Make a station for an art material, skill or concept. Have it be an experience or a little make and take. I used to do a Heart Art book before Valentine's Day. Students would move through centers drawing hearts, collaging hearts they drew and cut, making heart thumbprint characters, and finally binding them in a book (OK stapling, but proper stapling is a skill most kinders haven't experienced). Keep it simple, yet challenging enough with interesting materials for students with more skill to build as well. If everyone's work looks the same you probably need to differenciate more. Older kids can be real leaders/helpers with students who need help mastering skills. Talk to the teacher/s and find out what they are lacking. Remember art is important, and more than refrigerator decoration, but product often equals success in some people's eyes. Have a balance of discovery and teacher directed learning. Puppets would be a great activity too. Let me know off list if you want to talk about specific stations. Ali B.