Re: [art_education] Teaching art to kindergarteners and firstgraders

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
      What are you interested in? Ks and Gr.1 can do pretty much the same thing...
      I have tons of ideas on my website, if you'd like to look. www.brightring.com
      Then go to "Free Activities".
      But if you want specific suggestions, give us a little more to go on and the ideas will flow in!
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn Kohl
      blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog
      author, educator, consultant, presenter
      IBPA Board of Directors
      Barnes & Noble Parents' Expert Circle
      NAEYC Live Learning Center presenter

      On Nov 13, 2011, at 9:34 PM, Violet wrote:

      Hi all,

      I am looking for lesson plans to teach art to a combo class of kindergarteners and firstgraders. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

      Many thanks!

      Violet

    • Violet Angelov
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2011
        Thank you, MaryAnn!

        I am looking for projects that are related to the seasons and can also introduce famous painters to the little ones. I'll study your website tonight.

        Thanks again :o)!

        Violet

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17, 2011
          Hello Violet,

          I too believe TAB is a great way to go, that being said, if you do not have a strong background in art you may want to hold off as truly affective TAB requires a lot of quick thinking, eyes in the back of your head and the ability to be in three places at once (and it is SO worth it when you see the art, problem solving, cooperation and authentic artist behavior). While you build up to this you can start with exploratory centers/stations. Make a station for an art material, skill or concept. Have it be an experience or a little make and take. I used to do a Heart Art book before Valentine's Day. Students would move through centers drawing hearts, collaging hearts they drew and cut, making heart thumbprint characters, and finally binding them in a book (OK stapling, but proper stapling is a skill most kinders haven't experienced). Keep it simple, yet challenging enough with interesting materials for students with more skill to build as well. If everyone's work looks the same you probably need to differenciate more. Older kids can be real leaders/helpers with students who need help mastering skills. Talk to the teacher/s and find out what they are lacking. Remember art is important, and more than refrigerator decoration, but product often equals success in some people's eyes. Have a balance of discovery and teacher directed learning. Puppets would be a great activity too. Let me know off list if you want to talk about specific stations. Ali B.