Re: Art Grades 6-8 Homework

  • catyo55
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 21, 2011
      Sounds tricky Angela! In the past when I taught middle school, I required students to do one thing in their sketchbook per week. It could be a drawing, a collage, a journal entry, a picture that they took with a written description about it, etc. My main goal was to get kids to notice that there is art around them and to think about art when they were outside of the art room. I graded them on effort, thoughtfulness, and completion. You could get even more creative and specific and suggest things like bring in a food wrapper that has an interesting design, cut a picture out of a magazine that shows complementary colors, etc.

      My students had sketchbooks and I would collect them and grade the homework roughly once a month, but you could always have your students turn in their homework each class and then after you grade it, they could add it to the folder that they already have in your class.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "A. Thielke" wrote:

      > I have been instructed by my boss to give each class homework each
      > time I see them. I see most of my classes only once a week. To give
      > them homework seems like a great way to set them up to fail. I teach
      > in a high needs low income nyc public school. The students do not do
      > their homework in their "core" classes let alone in non tested
      > subjects.
      >
      > I create my lessons so that we break large projects up into chunks we
      > can handle in 40 minutes. We have to have the kids come in and record
      > the learning object and standards and then complete a do now before
      > getting into a "mini lesson". With supply set up and clean up we
      > aren't left with much time to do any actual work.
      >
      > I have given the students folders and paper that I bought with my own
      > money so that they can keep their work organized and in the classroom.
      > I do not have to deal with anyone losing their project, notebook or
      > saying that they can't afford to buy one. Everyone has what they need
      > to do the work. I try to keep the battles at a minimum. Now, that I
      > will be adding homework to the docket, I am not sure how to implement
      > it.
      >
      > My Assistant Principal said that the homework didnt have to be much or
      > hard. I asked why we needed to bother then. She is obviously only
      > requiring that there be homework in visual art to appeal to the
      > bowers-that-be rather than considering our students situations. Now on
      > top of teaching 200+ students and keeping tack of whether or not they
      > recorded the LO and did classwork I have to look at and grade
      > homework.
      >
      > What kind of homework should I be giving? What is realistic? Ideally,
      > I'd like to give homework that is related to what we work on in class.
      > However, I cannot count on the homework being done so I cannot count
      > on it to help supplement the classwork. (Ie: I cannot ask them to do a
      > planning drawing for hw and then use their hw in class for the next
      > step. If they do not do it, then they are behind and I have several
      > students at different points in the lesson. I've tried it, it's
      > miserable. This is not an ideal school or situation.) I was thinking
      > I'd require them to complete a drawing to hand in each day. I could
      > tally how many drawings that were done with effort for their homework
      > grade. Does this sound reasonable? What do you do?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Angela

    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2011
        Hi Angela,

        I have always had difficulties getting all students to do their homework too. Can you make worksheets? If you give your students a complete the picture page, a word jumble with vocabulary, an idea generator (something simple and fun) they will be more apt to do it. Open ended answers that are short and basic review will help you plan lessons after you grade it. Give a reward for doing it, like four in a row and they can chew gum in class (teachers in my building give lollipops- though I don't do this) or a sticker or free choice day. If they clean up early they could do their homework right in class too.
        Good Luck, ALi