Re: Thanksgiving lessons

  • kathabrams1
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2011
      Are you just looking for Thanks-related lessons? I have some alternatives, if they fit what you want.

      Those kindergarten Native American headdresses are still great. You can do any lesson upon the headbands and then staple: something about lines, colors, patterns, geometric or organic shapes, leaves, harvest, symbols inspired by Native pictographs, what your name would be if you were Native American (or what it is, if you are!), etc. Feathers can be cut out and colored or patterned too, or can be personalized with symbols about the child. There are excellent examples around showing First Nation work. There are also Shirley Glubok's series on different regional Indian styles and George Catlin's portraits of Native chiefs.

      This time of year always seems like a good time to highlight the art and culture of Native Americans. Buffalo hide stories told in drawings or pictographs, parfleches (folded leather envelopes used by natives to carry stuff: 18th c. messenger bag), weavings. I think the buffalo hide and parfleche lessons came from Brown Bag Ideas From Many Cultures by Irene Tejada.

      But how can you be on Thanksgiving already? I'm still behind on Days of the Dead.

      Kathie