Art Education Research

  • A. Thielke
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2011
      I am writing about teaching visual art at the middle school level specifically in NYC. I am interested in how the teacher operates and manages teaching hundreds of students classes that meet only once a week. (Generally the students have little art experience and are often resistant because art is not "required" for grade promotion and what not.)

      I am looking for articles in these specific areas:

      1. teaching at the middle school level. (strategies, best practices, dealing with the middle school student's development [physical, social, emotional cognitive])
      2. teaching at the middle school level in NYC. (personal accounts, why it's unique, why a huge metropolis is unique)
      3. teaching visual art at the middle school level (strategies for engagement, motivation, rigor, etc. NOT lesson plans!!)
      4. teaching classes that meet only once a week (issues of maintaining engagement, motivation, rigor!, and how teachers manage their administrative duties while teaching 200+ students each week)

      If you have excellent database search skills or have recently come across articles that may apply, I'd really appreciate it if you could forward suggests to me! I will also be conducting a survey for all NYC middle school art teachers in the coming months to find teachers to interview for my master thesis. If this is of interest to you, please contact me as well.

      Thanks in advance. My thesis proposal first draft is due Nov 17th and I'm just not satisfied with my literature for my lit review.
      Angela