Thankgsiving art lessons

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 23, 2011
      I am in the process of creating a Thanksgiving lessons page on IAD and was curious if any teachers on the list have come up with something more creative than the traditional hand trace turkey. What lessons are you doing?

      Ken Rohrer
      Incredible Art Department
    • Kathleen Maledon
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2011
        I used some of the real hens @ michaels (made from feathers).  had them use pastels on blk paper.
        they were gorgeous.  k
        On Oct 23, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Ken wrote:

        I am in the process of creating a Thanksgiving lessons page on IAD and was curious if any teachers on the list have come up with something more creative than the traditional hand trace turkey. What lessons are you doing?

        Ken Rohrer
        Incredible Art Department

      • Hillmer, Jan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2011

          Some years ago, I drew a large, tightly wound spiral on bulletin board paper.  Then asked all my students to write or draw something they’re thankful for, along the line.  We started at the center and worked our way out.  It was a wonderful way to show how Thankfulness spirals through our whole school.

          Jan In Tampa

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2011
            I have done many different things including a "Menu" of thanks with receDSCN0380.jpgipies for thanks - I've done cardboard "reliefs" using a sheet of cardboard with cut- out shapes glued on top (see attached) and painted

            Robin Hartmann
            The New School Montessori

            From:"Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...>
            Date:October 24, 2011 2:18:02 PM EDT
            To:"art_education@yahoogroups.com" <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
            Attachments:2 Attachments, 0.7 KB

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 29, 2011
              I don't see any images attached. Perhaps they don't show up in the list group archives. Would you do me a favor and post them under the album titled "Thanksgiving Lessons" in the art education list group photos page?

              Ken

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, muscles3 <muscles3@...> wrote:

              > I have done many different things including a "Menu" of thanks with receipies for thanks - I've done cardboard "reliefs" using a sheet of cardboard with cut- out shapes glued on top (see attached) and painted
              >
              > Robin Hartmann
              > The New School Montessori
              >

              > On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:18:02 PM, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
              >
              > From: "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...>
              > Subject: RE: [art_education] Thankgsiving art lessons
              > Date: October 24, 2011 2:18:02 PM EDT
              > To: "art_education@yahoogroups.com" <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
              > Attachments: 2 Attachments, 0.7 KB
              > Some years ago, I drew a large, tightly wound spiral on bulletin board paper.  Then asked all my students to write or draw something they're thankful for, along the line.  We started at the center and worked our way out.  It was a wonderful way to show how Thankfulness spirals through our whole school.
              >
              > Jan In Tampa

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 29, 2011
                When you say you made real hens from feathers, how did you do this? Did you paste them on the black paper along with the pastels?

                Ken

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@...> wrote:

                > I used some of the real hens @ michaels (made from feathers). had
                > them use pastels on blk paper.
                > they were gorgeous. k
                > On Oct 23, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Ken wrote:
                >
                > > I am in the process of creating a Thanksgiving lessons page on IAD
                > > and was curious if any teachers on the list have come up with
                > > something more creative than the traditional hand trace turkey. What
                > > lessons are you doing?
                > >
                > > Ken Rohrer
                > > Incredible Art Department

              • Kathleen Maledon
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2011
                  sorry...michaels sells hens made from feathers (life size)  :]  I knew what I meant.
                  the kids draw them w pastels  k
                  On Oct 29, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Ken wrote:

                  When you say you made real hens from feathers, how did you do this? Did you paste them on the black paper along with the pastels?

                  Ken

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@...> wrote:

                  > I used some of the real hens @ michaels (made from feathers). had
                  > them use pastels on blk paper.
                  > they were gorgeous. k
                  > On Oct 23, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Ken wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am in the process of creating a Thanksgiving lessons page on IAD
                  > > and was curious if any teachers on the list have come up with
                  > > something more creative than the traditional hand trace turkey. What
                  > > lessons are you doing?
                  > >
                  > > Ken Rohrer
                  > > Incredible Art Department

                • muscles3
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                    Hi Ken - just uploaded the photo of my 3-d project - I am not the best computer person, but now that I've done it I can upload others - where would I write the lesson plan that goes with it?
                    Robin Hartmann
                    The NEw School Montessori

                    From:Ken <kenroar@...>
                    Subject:[art_education] Re: Thankgsiving art lessons
                    Date:October 30, 2011 2:09:31 AM EDT
                    To:art_education@yahoogroups.com

                    I don't see any images attached. Perhaps they don't show up in the list group archives. Would you do me a favor and post them under the album titled "Thanksgiving Lessons" in the art education list group photos page?

                    Ken

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, muscles3 <muscles3@...> wrote:

                    > I have done many different things including a "Menu" of thanks with receipies for thanks - I've done cardboard "reliefs" using a sheet of cardboard with cut- out shapes glued on top (see attached) and painted
                    >
                    > Robin Hartmann
                    > The New School Montessori
                    >

                    > On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:18:02 PM, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > From: "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...>
                    > Subject: RE: [art_education] Thankgsiving art lessons
                    > Date: October 24, 2011 2:18:02 PM EDT
                    > To: "art_education@yahoogroups.com" <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Attachments: 2 Attachments, 0.7 KB
                    > Some years ago, I drew a large, tightly wound spiral on bulletin board paper.  Then asked all my students to write or draw something they're thankful for, along the line.  We started at the center and worked our way out.  It was a wonderful way to show how Thankfulness spirals through our whole school.
                    >
                    > Jan In Tampa

                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                      You can either e-mail it to me at kenroar@... or submit it on the lesson submissions form on IAD at:

                      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/submit_lesson.php

                      Use the form on IAD if you have more than one lesson to submit. Any other list members who want to submit lessons can use the form above also.

                      Ken

                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, muscles3 <muscles3@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Ken - just uploaded the photo of my 3-d project - I am not the best computer person, but now that I've done it I can upload others - where would I write the lesson plan that goes with it?
                      > Robin Hartmann
                      > The NEw School Montessori
                    • kathabrams1
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2011
                        Thanksgiving discovery #1, 2010: Last year the K-1s had just finished their beginning paint units in mid-November. They had mixed primaries to make secondaries, used white for tints, and had been asking, "What about brown?" My students always seem to love color mixing for golds, army green, and other "muddy" colors. We've painted "wizard potions," where we fill up weird, jar-shaped outlines with the results of our experiments and give them funny names. But last year I did a follow-along drawing in black crayon of a turkey (classic full frontal position) on 12 x 18 paper. The students enjoyed painting the turkey with various brown mixes and brown tints. Most used rainbows on the tailfeathers. Don't forget to check out Tricia Fuglestad's "Can't Mix for Primaries" (http://fugleflicks.wikispaces.com/Karaoke_Cant_Mix_for_Primaries), which includes the emphatic "muddy is a color too!"

                        Thanksgiving discovery #2, 2011: To my surprise, this year I've found that my students are strangely attracted to a cheap wicker basket cornucopia filled with small pumpkins and gourds. The big new thing I've learned about my teaching this fall is that my students really enjoy just drawing and painting these still life objects, whether as a setup or by taking parts to their table to draw.

                        Kathie Abrams