patterns for young children

  • jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2011
      I do a book with my kindergarten students at the beginning of the year - a page
      each week - to introduce procedures using some of the elements and principals
      of art. We do a page on patterns and I use the book Pattern Fish by Trudy
      Harris. It has wonderful illustrations with lots of pattern examples. Then the
      students create a pattern fish. To get them started, I give them a 12 x 18 paper
      with a big circle already drawn on it. From there, they create the fish with
      eye, fins, and tail, etc and of course patterns. They use markers but sometimes
      I provide colored stickers in different shapes. I saw on the flap of the book
      this year that the author also has done a book called Pattern Bugs. I will be
      getting that- the fish one is so good. Before I did the fish page, I used to
      have them draw a wavy black line on their paper and then they glued small pieces
      of paper along the string to make a "necklace" similar to stringing wooden beads
      on a string. I even used one as an example. I give them paper in red, yellow or
      blue in ovals or rectangles. Both methods are pretty successful. But they love
      the fish book- it has good read along , repeat phrases that they love.

      Jeryl in SC