How do YOU explain the Color white? Web site!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2004
      (Note for Tony - I don't know if you caught this on Getty list....Lots of
      Science in the WebExhibits site...I am wondering if making their own colored
      chalks or some of their paint would be a good idea now? That would combine
      math and science. I will see if Dan Cherney is willing to help with a
      lesson - Actually -HE would be a super choice for a teacher for you! I don't
      know if he is available for travel though).

      Dear Art Educators,

      Here is a topic that started on Art Education list -- then wandered over to
      Getty list like magic!
      You don't all get my words of wisdom (Phew - that's a relief)....but you
      will get this grand site:
      http://webexhibits.org/
      http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/
      http://webexhibits.org/colorart/
      http://webexhibits.org/pigments/
      and WHITE intro - Nice Kandinsky quote
      http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/color/whites.html
      Here is titanium:
      Strongest, most brilliant white available to artists in the entire history
      of art. Its chemical stability is likewise outstanding.
      http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/overview/tiwhite.html

      Linked on:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/arted.htm#Color
      And now linked on, too:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/color2.htm

      Woody wrote: (He is on Art Education and ArtsEducators too)

      As well as explaining the various types of color theory:
      Light / RBG Pigment / RYB Photography / YMC
      Reflective light and the many different temperatures of
      white light: Sunlight, Flood lamps, Tungsten, Fluorescent, etc.
      I also try to impress on students the difference between
      Theory and Practice. They need to realize and experience
      how things are suppose to work and how they really do
      in the real world.
      Woody in KC

      "Fields, Linda" wrote (she is on Art Education too)

      > I, too, explain black and white in terms of both science (light) and
      art(pigment) because even high school kids get confused, especially
      when they take physical science, photography, and scientific visualization
      (computer stuff). I bring in a prism and pure pigment. I explain that
      pigment is solid coloring matter-it has weight and mass and can be held
      in their hands. Light cannot. However, I also go on to explain that,
      although white is not on the color wheel, in pigment study it is treated
      like a primary color because we cannot mix any others to create it-we
      must have white pigment. Linda in NC
      Thanks Woody and Linda! Enjoy showing all how Art is Science! Earth science
      was my favorite science - all of the minerals - then biology - then
      chemistry...physics was OK, too - but I didn't get into that too much (that
      was more for Matthew). File this in your Art and Science Folder.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources