Re: I have 15 boxes of FEATHERS... Any ideas for elementary???

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
      What about making masks- out of papermache, cast paper from a paper making project, boxes, or whatever you want- and have the students paint them. Then use the feathers to coat/completely cover the inside of the mask. It will give a nice juxtaposition of texture (I have done with my own sculpture, and it looks really cool.)
      Oh, completely cover a sculpture from head to toe with feathers! Get boxes or shapes- beach balls, any 3-d object- and cover them with feathers. Stack or suspend them into a cool installation :) Oh, or a CHAIR. Combo this with a lesson on surrealist Meret Oppenheim's "Fur Covered Teacup" and you've got some art history going on. I think things the student use all the time would make them feel most connected to the object they are covering. Maybe a feather covered pencil box? I would love to see a feathered chair, though :)
      Regards,
      Brandy

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "smth_mj" <smth_mj@...> wrote:

      > Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jennifer

    • MJ Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2011
        Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas....  I love several of them and will post pictures as we finish.  You all are a great group of artists with a creative flair... Especially the tar!!! LOL thank you...

        Jennifer

        "An idea is salvation by imagination."
        Frank Lloyd Wright
      • Paul Lambermont
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2011
          I'd love to see them. I did the Andean Feather Textiles about five years ago with third and fourth grade. If I can find the photos, i'll post them.

          Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds. And don’t hate nobody.

          --Eubie Blake

          myspace.com/plambermont

          http://tenlivesinqueenscounty.blogspot.com/2010/07/by-products-of-editing-and-layout.html

          http://lambermont-lambermont.blogspot.com