I have 15 boxes of FEATHERS... Any ideas for elementary???

  • smth_mj
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
      Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...

      Thanks,

      Jennifer
    • KVP
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
        .... You need a barrel of tar.....

        Bob Keene
        ------------

        "Yes, I too have an iPhone."

        On Sep 6, 2011, at 7:54 AM, "smth_mj" <smth_mj@...> wrote:

        Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...

        Thanks,

        Jennifer

      • Kathleen Maledon
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
          How about landscape collages?  the grain of the feather would make good
          textural skies, mtns, trees, etc. -- maybe glue them on blk felt?   Van Gogh's starry
          night might be a good image to use, as well as other visuals.  FYI we have a great
          tourist magazine, Arizona Highways, that has been around for eons.  If you ever get
          your hands on them, the large pictures make great teaching aids for foreground,
          back; horizon line, perspective strategies, value, etc.  k
          On Sep 6, 2011, at 4:54 AM, smth_mj wrote:

          Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...

          Thanks,

          Jennifer

        • The Ericksons
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011

            Give each child 1 feather and they come up with an way to incorporate it into their artwork.   I usually say no birds or chickens just to make it more of a challenge.

            RE:     Subject: [art_education] I have 15 boxes of FEATHERS... Any ideas for elementary???

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
              I just did a search out of curiosity on IAD on the search term, "feathers" and many lessons popped up. Go to http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad and try it yourself. You might find some uses there.

              Ken

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "smth_mj" <smth_mj@...> wrote:

              > Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jennifer

            • Kathleen Maledon
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2011
                KVP ---I'll supply the politicians  k
                On Sep 6, 2011, at 7:19 AM, KVP wrote:

                .... You need a barrel of tar.....

                Bob Keene
                ------------

                "Yes, I too have an iPhone."

                On Sep 6, 2011, at 7:54 AM, "smth_mj" <smth_mj@...> wrote:

                Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...

                Thanks,

                Jennifer

              • Paul Lambermont
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                  You could research Andean Feather Textiles and do a unit on them. The students could make andean feather textiles with a kraft paper base. The students would focus on pattern and color.

                  Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds. And don’t hate nobody.

                  --Eubie Blake

                  myspace.com/plambermont

                  http://tenlivesinqueenscounty.blogspot.com/2010/07/by-products-of-editing-and-layout.html

                  http://lambermont-lambermont.blogspot.com

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/plambermont/
                • jdecker4art
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                    Greetings,

                    I love Paul's idea! Perfect! I know there is a book available on the Andean feather textiles.

                    I did a unit with 7th grade on the sculpture of Dr. Seuss. I have a book of his work, but don't know where it is right now (Strange World of Dr. Seuss might be the title). My students did some marvelous imaginary creatures recycling bottles, cardboard, various tubes, etc -even some garden tools - then applied plaster gauze. I stepped the unit down for elementary one year (the only year I taught elementary in the school district). The third graders made wacky long legged birds - but they could do any creature. For third grade, we paper mached balloons - then added heads, beaks, , crests, tails, wings - whatever - and used skewers for legs (and don't forget the feet!). I had wood blocks to help them stand. Drilled holes in the wood - put the sewers through the cardboard feet - then glued into the holes. Sure wish I had had 15 boxes of feathers for that project! What a hoot they would been. I wonder if more feathers would have gotten on the kids than the birds?

                    Judy Decker

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lambermont <plambermont3@...> wrote:

                    > You could research Andean Feather Textiles and do a unit on them. The students could make Andean feather textiles with a kraft paper base. The students would focus on pattern and color.
                    >

                    > Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds. And don't hate nobody.
                    >

                    > --Eubie Blake
                  • Brandy
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2011
                      What about making masks- out of papermache, cast paper from a paper making project, boxes, or whatever you want- and have the students paint them. Then use the feathers to coat/completely cover the inside of the mask. It will give a nice juxtaposition of texture (I have done with my own sculpture, and it looks really cool.)
                      Oh, completely cover a sculpture from head to toe with feathers! Get boxes or shapes- beach balls, any 3-d object- and cover them with feathers. Stack or suspend them into a cool installation :) Oh, or a CHAIR. Combo this with a lesson on surrealist Meret Oppenheim's "Fur Covered Teacup" and you've got some art history going on. I think things the student use all the time would make them feel most connected to the object they are covering. Maybe a feather covered pencil box? I would love to see a feathered chair, though :)
                      Regards,
                      Brandy

                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "smth_mj" <smth_mj@...> wrote:

                      > Help. Any ideas for using all of these feathers would be very helpful for a packed storage room...
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Jennifer

                    • MJ Smith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2011
                        Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas....  I love several of them and will post pictures as we finish.  You all are a great group of artists with a creative flair... Especially the tar!!! LOL thank you...

                        Jennifer

                        "An idea is salvation by imagination."
                        Frank Lloyd Wright
                      • Paul Lambermont