any suggestions for doing recycling posters with elementary students?

  • Me
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4 8:25 AM
      Dear artists and teachers:

      My principal has approached me to do the school's recycling posters this year. She wants to pick 20 out of all of them and she wants to also pick the winner for the contest.

      Does anyone have any great ideas on how to do these posters. They are large and on a whole sheet of tagboard per student. I have very little storage area, so storing them inbetween classes will be a huge problem.

      Also, on what I have read online about recycling, it would be good to add recycled papers, boxes, etc. to the posters. These posters are due in 2 weeks, and I do not have any materials right now, as I am a new teacher.

      any ideas from experiece from anyone with elementary on posters, and how to do these posters so they are of quality, good enough for a principal to reiview, is my question. Please help!!

      thank you so very much!!

      Stormy
    • Diane Gregory

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4 8:47 PM
          My suggestion is to remind the principal you are new and then tell her for them to be due in a month is more workable. Plus it gives you time to get a better product from the students. This should give you time to go over or in more depth with the older elementary students.
          Just my sugestion!
          Good Luck
          Retsy

          My principal has approached me to do the school's recycling posters this year. She wants to pick 20 out of all of them and she wants to also pick the winner for the contest.

          Does anyone have any great ideas on how to do these posters. They are large and on a whole sheet of tagboard per student. I have very little storage area, so storing them inbetween classes will be a huge problem.

          Also, on what I have read online about recycling, it would be good to add recycled papers, boxes, etc. to the posters. These posters are due in 2 weeks, and I do not have any materials right now, as I am a new teacher.

          any ideas from experiece from anyone with elementary on posters, and how to do these posters so they are of quality, good enough for a principal to reiview, is my question. Please help!!

          thank you so very much!!

          Stormy

        • The Elemental Art Room
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12 9:22 AM
            Hi Stormy,

            I did recycled posters with my 3rd-5th graders last spring. They were 18x24, so a bit smaller than poster board, but this would still work well. We just grabbed everything from the art room that was considered "scrap" and used it in a collage. (Newspaper, tissue paper, odd sizes of drawing and construction paper...) Students also used Sharpie pens to outline some parts of their collage or to write text, as well as using markers, crayons and anything else handy to add details. The various textures from the different paper types worked really well together. You could add all sorts of things! Here are a few photos of our collages: http://elementalartroom.blogspot.com/2011/04/recycled-collages.html.

            It was a fun project...the kids LOVED it. Have a great time!

            Rebecca