Re: [art_education] Re: Art project for "value"

  • Clay Lady
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2011
      Billie Ann,
      Thank you!!!!!!!!!

      From: Billie Dreher <bdreher27@...>
      To: "art_education@yahoogroups.com" <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:46 AM
      Subject: Re: [art_education] Re: Art project for "value"

      Teaching value is one thing, helping my students to recognize the need for contrast as well as subltle value changes is another.  These timid folks either don't see the need for more contrast in their work and/or fear messing up what they think is a good piece.  I thought my grading remarks of "More contrast please"....".Hold the art piece at arm's length and squint your eyes"...."Don't be afraid of that 4B pencil...." were being completely ignored until a great tip from our AP Drawing teacher came our way during a vertical teaming staff development.  She contends that many students just can't "see" the need for more contrast in their work.  They find it hard to locate where the work needs adjustment.

      The Red View Finder!  What a miracle!  We made red celephane view finders during our morning break using the letter press and a roll of store bought red celllophone gift wrap.  I keep them in a box near the drawing supplies (kneaded erasers, misc. pencils, sanding pads, blending stumps) - It's so neat to watch them holding the work at arms length and then grabbing a red view finder to confirm their suspisions - off they go re-working an area.  LOVE IT!  The middle and lower grades teachers are using them too!!

      Billie Ann Dreher

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5, 2011
        I like it!  I like it! k