Art is the MOST important subject in school

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2004
      Greetings Sal!

      Welcome to Art Education list. This is an important problem...Just how DO
      you get it across that art is the most important subject? Find ways for them
      to succeed....Make them do the work - even if it means on your time. Don't
      let them fail. Other staff members will not like your success with kids with
      the school sucks attitude - but so what? I loved my 5th graders when I had
      them! 5th and 6th was my favorite age group. Work on those "naughty" kids
      before they get up into 7th and 8th grade.

      Art isn't important to that child because it isn't important to his/her
      parents. You have to keep working him/her. Tell him/her how in art you
      can express things that you can not express in any other class. Get the
      kid/kids to realize how each an every object they touch has to do with
      art in some way (design)...well just about....and what about cars!
      Even the clothese that they wear. They could not go a day without art
      no matter how hard they tried. ART is all around...beauty is all around.
      Art isn't important to those kids because they feel they aren't any good
      at it. Find something they CAN do and be proud of.

      YOU have to make art important...but first talk to them to find out why it
      isn't important in their eyes...Some idiot adult put that crazy notion in
      their eyes. Find out who it was....Tell the kiddies what is wrong with that
      way of thinking....Then do your spin.

      BTW...my former middle school no longer has art offered as a class....
      BUT many teacher integrated art iinto their curriculum
      (partially thanks to my efforts over the years).

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources