Re: Multiple classes, way too many little darlings.

  • carney_home
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2011
      The key is to plan SIMPLE first! Train them of your procedures and materials usage (passing/sharing) with pencils, pink pearl erasers, and crayons for simple, yet bold, projects. I teach elementary art, 7 classes three days, and 6 classes the other two days of the week. My total headcount for the week is approx 700 (between 2 schools). With the classes being 40 minutes each, it's a killer schedule with only one 40 minute planning to prep all supplies and paper needed for the week. I've been told "that's the life of an art teacher." Well, I've discovered that CONTAINERS and STAR HELPERS are the way to go. I name a a "star helper" at each table, and they are the ones who help me with gathering / passing out supplies, etc. If the containers are such that 2 kids can share from one container, then you can use the container as a divider between kids so they don't mess with and irritate each other. I did go to our District "warehouse" to get other small desks to put at the end of my regular lunch-room type tables. That allows me to put 5 at a table instead of 4. Last year I was using long, skinny computer tables, too. To help with classroom management, I have them enter the room walking down a GREEN TAPE LINE that I put on the floor. I call it my QUIET LINE, and they are suppose to enter and stand on the line in silence before they sit! This allows me to speak to them as a long line (I have no floor space for group time). I can stress some simple procedures about supplies usage BEFORE they sit. I also remind them that I know they CAN be still and quiet, because I know they have all played Hide-and-Seek before. Good Luck!