Re: Auction Fundraisers

  • jdecker4art
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011
      Thanks Lisa for your wonderful ideas.

      There are so many ways to raise money for your programs. Please keep the "Empty Bowl" fundraiser for what is was originally intended - to raise money for the hungry. The Empty Bowl Fundraiser has been around for many years to raise money for the hungry and increase awareness for those in need. I did an Empty bowl project with my sixth graders for many years. When the local food bank stopped serving the soup luncheon, we held our own silent auctions with all proceeds going to the Food Bank. We also had a food drive each year in conjunction with the Empty Bowl project. One year, the students brought in almost a ton (yes, a TON - the food bank weighed it) of food. A group of students stayed after school to sort the cans - green beans with green beans - an so forth. One year, the students helped serve the luncheon at the food bank (that year there was a school-wide emphasis on volunteerism).

      For the Empty Bowl project, my students always made two bowls - using different forming techniques and different decorating techniques. They got to choose which bowl to donate and which one to keep. Some parents wanted both bowls, so bid generously on the other one - and often donated money for the one their child was allowed to keep, too.