Re: Preschool Art

  • tabchoiceteaching
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 24 12:11 PM
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ednakate" <h8n2w8@...> wrote:

      > Hello Everyone-
      > I am hoping you all can give me some ideas for doing art with preschool age children. >>

      The preschools of Reggio Emelia in Italy are the best in the world. You can find a lot of information about their art centered pedagogy by Googling.

      Cathy Topal of Smith College, created a curriculum with one of the Reggio people for her preschool art classes at the lab school. The book is BEAUTIFUL STUFF and it is the best. Instead of projects to create a pre planned thing, her curriculum sets up learning experiences for the students to interact with. It connects well with math and science development, language acquisition and so on...more important than producing things for the refrigerator. Reggio teachers also have wonderful procedures for documenting student work which could be adapted to your classes--and are incredible advocacy for your program.

      http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Stuff-Learning-Found-Materials/dp/0871923882/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314213045&sr=8-1

      I had nearly 700 K-3 students but adapted the beautiful stuff curriculum with great success in my choice studio. I have also used it with college undergraduates in a methods/materials course.

      kathy douglas
      k-3 massachusetts, retired
      teachingforartisticbehavior.org
      Engaging Learners Through Artmaking; Teachers College Press 2009