New to the group

  • ladyada76
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
      Hello to all

      I am new to the group and wanted to take a moment to introduce
      myself. I am an artist, specializing in photography, graphic
      design and bookmaking. I reside in New York City and I am
      pondering a huge career change. For the past three years I have
      been working in children's book publishing, involved with the
      creative aspects of the industry and also working on my creative
      projects in photography in my spare time. I realized that
      corporate world is not for me. I long to do something that makes
      the difference, that inspires...I always dreamed on being an art
      teacher and I feel that the time had come to make a big leap in
      that direction. I am presently researching NYS teacher test
      requirements (I am interested in teaching at a Jr High and High
      School level). I have BFA in Photography, Minor in Art History with
      a very strong fine art backgroud. I joined this group because I
      wanted to meet other teachers, who have been working in the
      field of Art Education and hear about your experiences, how did
      you started to teach, what is required to teach art (I do not have
      any teaching experience, but I do have strong portfolio
      demonstrating my skills) I am looking forward to getting to know
      you all.

      Ada
    • Wayong@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
        hi- I'm originally from NYC. FYI, every state has different rules & regulations. If you want to remain in NY, you are very lucky. Prior to moving out of state, I was not aware of any of my friends/colleagues having a full time position. A full time art teacher position is very rare in NYC (and elsewhere). You are more likely to get a position like that upstate. However, there are more opportunities for part time & contract positions. But if you want to slowly get into the field, this is a good way to go. NY, along w/NJ, Pennsylvania, Conneticut & much of the east coast, it is not required to have a degree in education nor initially have a certification. Board of Ed will hire you in lieu of you completing cert. requirements if they are in need. Many other private org. won't require a cert. or license.

        Your strong portfolio & people skills will definately be an asset. However, your lack of experience will work against you. There are many very qualified people vying for contract positions at Studio in the School, Marquis Studios, etc.
        Your options are to either volunteer doing the work you ideally want to do professionally, or take less than ideal jobs to get started. Hospital Audience Inc. - HAI, will sometimes hire artists with no prior teaching experience. However, the commute tends to be long to get to your contract positions, & most likely will be placed with adults/elderly until you 'prove yourself' for several years.

        Before applying for a graduate program in art ed, I strongly recommend getting field experience, reading books (although most of the art ed books, in my opinion are subpar technically & often suffer from lack of imagination), going to conferances (art ed, ed, special ed, creative arts therapy), and talking to people in the field.
        It's nice to be idealistic & all, but you may not be able to
        avoid 'corporation hassles' - there is a lot of beauocracy, red tape, internal politics, paperwork ESPECIALLY if you get a full time job.
        Also, working with kids and/or special needs populations can be very stressful & wearing. I love working with 'difficult' kids, but it's not for everybody. If you are too gentle & green or easily irritated, kids can pinpoint you as a target.

        With all of that, you do have a lot of options. Shop around!
        There are several organisations that have volunteer artists working with homeless kids & community settings. While that place may not have a paying position, getting yourself out there & making yourself known is important. Personally, I'm very against established professionals volunteering (don't ever suggest that to me, it wouldn't help my situation) because people assume you are not worth a paycheck & not professional. But for artists who are trying to break in, it's a different situation.

        Also, check out Earth Celebrations... they can use artists & teachers to develop puppets, masks, costumes.

        With any of these org, set boundaries & don't end up getting abused.

        Now, if you want to look for work in the Wild West, don't even bother. I tried 2 yrs in Colorado & I'm happily moving to Boston...

        Wayong
      • Ken Rohrer
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2002
          Wayong,
          The last several years, Nevada has been desperate for
          teachers. I don't know if they still are since they've
          had less move-ins since 9-11.
          Ken

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • whipplerobertsinc
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2008
            Hi all,
            I just joined this group this past week. I am in a midlife career change as I wish to teach art at the secondary level. I found your site when I was researching for a paper on differential instruction/individual instruction/alternative schools as I am in graduate school at the University of AZ South seeking an MED. I will graduate this coming May. I am a certified substitute teacher and have a CTE certificate to teach graphic design. My husband and I have run our own business (graphic design/metal art) for over 25 years.
            I am going to graduate school since it is required to teach art at the secondary level, even though I teach at a local community college. When I graduate the likely hood of finding a job in a very conservative area of AZ is going to be tough if not impossible. I may end up creating my own job as artist in residence type teaching program I will design for the middle school grades. The reason being is that all the local districts have dropped art to make more time to teach to test ... ugh! Regardless of the many papers I have written on how art helps in other subject matters and that it is a subject that can adapt to crossing over into other content areas the local superintendents do not get it (except for one in my home town who is willing to work with me, her husband is an artist so she understands). You all may not hear from me often till I graduate. I will be reading your posts though.
            I have one question: has anyone tried what I am planning to do, a private art education service that travels to local schools to provide units of art education because they cannot afford a full time art teacher? I will research the possibilities of grants to be funded by NEA later on. I have never tried this so any suggestions or helpful hints would be appreciated. To introduce myself you can check my blog at http:www.lindsayjanetroberts.wordpress.com
            Any way, glad to meet all of you through this site. Thanks already for the fodder for my papers (nice fodder at that!)!!!
            Lindsay
          • shellysart
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 10, 2008
              Hey there, I am in a similar situation and happen to hail from Tucson
              to top it, although I moved away many years ago. I am very sad to
              hear about the state of Art programs there. It is the same here in
              the Seattle area. I went to a public elementary in Tucson and it was
              an Arts focused school. It must be gone now, or it has changed
              curriculum. It was in TUSD (used to be called Miles Exploratory
              Learning Center on Broadway near U of A). Tucson in the 70's was very
              Artsy. Lots of hippies (including my family). Anyhoo, here in our
              elementary school, we have a very involved PTA and they have come up
              with a "Fund" of monies to hire two part time Art teachers. I am one
              of them. I come into the classrooms-once a month for 5 months of the
              year. I teach grades K-2/3. We have another teacher who teaches 3-6.
              I get 45 minutes with the kids per class, and we do have an inventory
              of supplies, plus they are good about paying for extra materials up
              to a certain amount. I have been pondering what I could do here on a
              district or state level to do exactly what you were talking about-
              getting someone to care about this topic and get this subject back in
              our schools. One of the 2nd grade teachers and I were talking about
              projects (that my kids had done at other schools out of state) and
              she looked at me puzzled. She said "they did this in public school?"
              I was shocked. She was raised in this area and she had never had Art
              either..........that's how long this has been going on. We have
              teachers now that didn't have it, and alot of them see no value in
              Art Education. Ok, I need to stop now, I am starting to get angry.
              Any help out there about how I could start trying to get this back in
              our schools? We too, are teaching " to the tests.

              Lindsey wrote......