Re: teaching 6-8 grade

  • priorhouse
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2011
      I really love what Jeff shared for middle school art levels - and just to add to the collection of ideas here.... you may also want to have your three grade levels pivot around colors for each year!

      Lessons, artists, and masterpieces are selected to match a basic color focus for each grade. For example, 6th grade: Primary and Secondary; 7th Grade: Intermediate Colors; 8th Grade: Neutral Colors & Monochromatic. And you can let students know of the plan in advance - and they can possibly look forward to moving through the color groupings.

      6th grade reviews and studies primaries and secondaries - and maybe explores complements. For primary colors - study Mondrian - make some grids - experiment with tinting - talk about negative space. For secondary colors - study Matisse - his pics have lots of secondary colors - especially Purple Robe and Anemones (1937) - and maybe study the GoLDfish (1912) - some of my favorite MS student creations have been their version of Matisse's Goldfish. Students can also make their own color wheel. Can make secondary colors with the RYB triangle. Also, 6th grade should really explore basic perspective! Nice one-point perspective lessons by Harold Olejarz here

      7th Grade: Intermediate colors - continue to explore complements and analogous colors. talk about contrast and maybe make posters (study Toulouse-Lautrec). Klee would also be a great artist to study (he mastered color theory) and he also has a variety of interesting pieces for middle school. In one class, I recall having a big discussion about masks and how they fit into our lives - (Klee's Broken Mask, 1934 started it all) and we briefly mentioned social sides, family sides, private sides, when we feel exposed, etc. There isn't always a lot of time for discussion with one hour lessons, but some middle school lessons can be life changing when we pause to add in little tidbits. I still recall my art teacher (decades ago) mentioning a history story that was very influential. Another artist may be Van Gogh - for variety - but also for tidbits that may come up - - like with his job displacement - which has sometimes led to talk about options for art careers, personal wiring, and the balance of meaning and pleasure in work. Can also Study depth, contour, and art criticism. 7th grade can focus 2 pt. perspective.

      8th Grade: Neutral Colors (Gray, Brown), MoNochromatic, and maybe have fun with metallics.
      Warm Colors & Cool Colors, Value, Brightness, Saturation, etc. Themes for this grade could center around the great outdoors. Cubism is also a nice choice of study as many 8th graders study right triangle trigonometry or have a nice math foundation and can maybe appreciate the angles and curves. Can study Picasso, Braque, Gris, or Cezanne. I really like Cubism for middle school because it seems win-win for all art levels. Students with very little art backgrounds seem to be pleased with their initial attempts at Cubism. More experienced art students can take projects to new levels - and so it may be a nice morale builder. I am sure you know this - but do not forget how vulnerable this age group is - and their still developing creativity and process can be stifled easily - so offer some protection and privacy - and offer a variety of lessons to target differing learning styles and backgrounds.

      Many 8th graders study Ocean, Atmosphere and Weather in science- and so Wyland may be a nice modern artist to add to your studies. Ocean pictures can cover painting lessons, collage, sculpture, and 3-D creations. Drip Art or Pop Art may also fit in too.
      8th graders can focus 2 pt. perspective and illusion (think Escher or Rousse).

      Mrs. Prior in VA