Calligraphy

  • bzahurones
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9 7:39 AM
      I am teaching a unit in Calligraphy this year, and it has been a few years since I've done it, never taught it. Can you help me answer a few questions?

      1) I remember drawing out lines on paper. Didn't we just use drawing paper, or do I need special paper?

      2) I remember filling the reservoir of my nib with a brush, did I use like a paint tray and put some ink in?

      3) Do I need a cleaner for the nibs or just water, then keep dry?

      Thanks for the help. Beth.
    • De Anna Michelle
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9 6:51 PM
        There are plenty of samples of practice paper on the internet- just do a quick search.

        Depending on what type of pens u use will depend on ink,well and clean up. That to can be found in the same search.

        If u are not internet savy, take a trip to your local arts & craft supply store...even Wal-Mart.

        Hope this helps,
        DeAnna Michelle

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10 7:00 AM

          Hi Beth,

          You  might find it helpful to print out and laminate a class set of lined paper.  Be sure that the lines you print out are nice and dark.  Then you can tape unlined paper on top for calligraphy.  Copy paper is fine for practice;  we use heavy glass votive candleholders with liquid watercolor for inks – a paint tray would work as well.  In my classroom, students put the used pens in a container of soapy water.  I swish them out and put them nib down in another  container  stuffed with paper so the pens dry quickly. Don’t leave ‘em in water – they will rust.

          I introduce calligraphy to my 4th grade students early in the school year, tying the calligraphy to early American history/social studies. Then  students also can use them for sketching.

          Jan in Tampa

          Gr 1-5

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 10 8:29 AM

            I've done calligraphy with a variety of nib sizes and shapes on a graph paper in the past. Calligraphy paper is expensive. I gave some basic guiding lines for them to use. But the thing I found most fun was to create their own calligraphy after the basic concepts are taught, including familiarity with shape of nibs, size of letter, flourishes, spacing, punctuation and font. I found that a lesson on graffiti art and/or illuminations helped them get a visual. At this time, they were able to choose their own tools including color markers, pencils, pen and ink, sharpie markers, etc. They can write a poem, or simply write their names and illuminate. I found that, even with high school kids, their self esteem increased, they were not so judgmental of themselves and they really enjoyed what they were doing when we did it this way.

            Good luck, I hope this helps.
          • MarciaB
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11 4:56 AM
              I also buy parchment paper that comes in pads. They practice on the cheap copy paper and then can use the nicer paper later.

              Marcia
              http://vividlayers.blogspot.com

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Miki Rodriguez <mikirodriguez2007@...> wrote:

              > I've done calligraphy with a variety of nib sizes and shapes on a graph paper in the past. Calligraphy paper is expensive. I gave some basic guiding lines for them to use. But the thing I found most fun was to create their own calligraphy after the basic concepts are taught, including familiarity with shape of nibs, size of letter, flourishes, spacing, punctuation and font. I found that a lesson on graffiti art and/or illuminations helped them get a visual. At this time, they were able to choose their own tools including color markers, pencils, pen and ink, sharpie markers, etc. They can write a poem, or simply write their names and illuminate. I found that, even with high school kids, their self esteem increased, they were not so judgmental of themselves and they really enjoyed what they were doing when we did it this way.
              >
              > Good luck, I hope this helps.

            • judy butler
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12 7:32 AM
                I also have them practice on the printer paper but I've found that you can buy paper that looks like parchment at the office stores. For the concluding step of the project the students do a quote (that I have approved) on the "parchment " paper. They can add some form of illumination if they want. They love doing these quotes and sometimes they want to do more so for extra credit I have them choose a quote that I have available. These are favorite quotes that the teachers have submitted. The kids are fascinated to see the teacher's quotes also. I scan the teacher quote and give the student the copy and give the teacher the original. Many teachers have these hanging up in their rooms.

                Have fun,
                Judy B
                www.quirkycreations.com
              • Kathleen Maledon
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14 4:00 PM
                  The paper is very specific..lines intersect and also some have slants.  I think you'd have to
                  copy them.  For beginners, why not use the calligraphy pens for practice?  I've only done
                  direct from the bottle filling.   hmmm   k

                  On Aug 9, 2011, at 7:39 AM, bzahurones wrote:

                  I am teaching a unit in Calligraphy this year, and it has been a few years since I've done it, never taught it. Can you help me answer a few questions?

                  1) I remember drawing out lines on paper. Didn't we just use drawing paper, or do I need special paper?

                  2) I remember filling the reservoir of my nib with a brush, did I use like a paint tray and put some ink in?

                  3) Do I need a cleaner for the nibs or just water, then keep dry?

                  Thanks for the help. Beth.

                • D Rickard
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 15 6:16 AM
                    I've only done the type that you dip the nib in ink.  No filling.  I would recommend the markers that have the calligraphy slant--but be prepared for kids to ruin the nibs of those quickly.  They used to have crayola caligraphy markers (big ones) that would double or triple the lines--VERY cool!

                    Dawn
                    Sometimes the best things in life only come after you have totally given up trying to make things happen yourself.  Let go and let God.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 16 5:48 AM
                      If you get a fat, wide tip crayola marker, you can cut a line or two into the marker tip- viola- double tips :) You can also remove any part you don't want to make smaller lines.
                      (This kinda happened by accident once, but I've done it on purpose since then.)
                      Regards,
                      Brandy