Re: another good idea

  • Byrd1956
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
      I had my 8th. grade enrichment art class study zentangles then had them create approximately 20 Zentangle ATC cards. Some were fantastic and others not so much, as some of the students put off making them. I also made them and the day they were due I had the kids put theirs in a zip lock baggie and turn them in. I sorted their projects according to who actually reached the assignment goal then called each student up individually. Their set of zentangle cards were laid out and I chose one (with their permission). They then looked through mine and chose one. After the students got their group back then the trading too place with each other. They thought this part was great and some wanted to trade more than once w/me. Even the students who did not really meet the requirements wanted to trade; you could see regret in some as to the fact that they didn't take the assignment too seriously compared to others. Overall it was a great project, but I think I would stick in a couple cards a week starting early in the year, so when trading time comes everyone should have theirs ready. I actually didn't have much time during class to make mine, so I spent a whole Sat. on them. I also used some interesting stamps to start the design on many and that helped me on time.
    • erika barrera
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
        Hi Art Teachers!!!
        I joined the group a few weeks ago and love it! It's my second year with a Charter High School and my classes have changed from Art 1&2 to Drawing II, Printmaking II and Sculpture/Ceramics. I love reading all the super helpful info. but never write any comments and am starting to feel like a creeper;)
        Just wanted to thank all of the posts especially the Zentangles. I recently went to an art workshop and received some great ideas that are very similar. The workshop was called Sketch and Doodle from Antiquities presented by Fahmi Khan (a great Art teacher/artist). She presented the lesson: The lesson concentrated on the use of contour figure studies from antiquities which would then be enhanced with doodles (patterns and designs from the 60's). It isn't quit doodling because doodling with some manner of control. The students have to stop every few moments to observe how the lines and shapes affect the drawing as a whole. Prior to this lesson, it is good idea to practice just doodling patterns in a sketch book- an exercise where students are not drawing anything in particular - the idea is to make the hand movements more controlled and to become a disciplined hand in drawing. The lesson can be a little more complicated when the student is asked to draw the sculpture or image from just a glance using more memory. She has her own website www.fahmikhan.com to check out some examples and more info.

        Thanks again everyone!!

        .
      • reens@semol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
          Thanks Erika,
          I love her work -wish she did workshops in my state!

          > Hi Art Teachers!!!
          > I joined the group a few weeks ago and love it! It's my second year with a
          > Charter High School and my classes have changed from Art 1&2 to Drawing
          > II, Printmaking II and Sculpture/Ceramics. I love reading all the super
          > helpful info. but never write any comments and am starting to feel like
          > a creeper;)
          > Just wanted to thank all of the posts especially the Zentangles. I
          > recently went to an art workshop and received some great ideas that are
          > very similar. The workshop was called Sketch and Doodle from Antiquities
          > presented by Fahmi Khan (a great Art teacher/artist). She presented the
          > lesson: The lesson concentrated on the use of contour figure studies from
          > antiquities which would then be enhanced with doodles (patterns and
          > designs from the 60's). It isn't quit doodling because doodling with some
          > manner of control. The students have to stop every few moments to observe
          > how the lines and shapes affect the drawing as a whole. Prior to this
          > lesson, it is good idea to practice just doodling patterns in a sketch
          > book- an exercise where students are not drawing anything in particular -
          > the idea is to make the hand movements more controlled and to become a
          > disciplined hand in drawing. The lesson can be a little more complicated
          > when the student is asked to draw
          > the sculpture or image from just a glance using more memory. She has her
          > own website www.fahmikhan.com to check out some examples and more info.
          >
          > Thanks again everyone!!
          >  .
        • subirdsings
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
            Yes, Dawn! Zentangles are awesome I did it with Jr. High and High School. With Jr. High, I took them on a "walk about", around campus and they had to find patterns and textures, they could do rubbings or draw them in the sketchbook. Then we went back to the classroom and used what they found in the Zentangles. There are lots of great Youtube VDOs. I also used them in Sculpture class, when I get back to school I'll add pictures. (I got that Idea from Scholastic arts) I didn't put them on this computer.

            Great Therapy, good teachable moments, and inspirational!
            Sue

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, D Rickard <catwoman9464@...> wrote:

            > I just thought of something I did with my students that caught on with the other art teachers.  Have you ever heard of Zentangles?  Look it up on Google.  it has a great history.  It can be used as "therapy " of sorts to calm people down.  I drew the whole time I was getting ready for surgery once.  It helped alot.  The art teachers started using zentangles in their classes and said that they had never seen their classes quieter!  It also is a great go-to activity when they get done with something in your class or in another class.  There are books on it, but there's plenty online you can find and teach yourself.  They can Zentangle a mug or cup or whatever.  Even students with autism got into doing Zentangles!
            > Also, we did the background of quilts and colored quilt patterns.
            >
            > Dawn
            > http://mdawnr.blogspot.com/
            > Sometimes the best things in life only come after you have totally given up trying to make things happen yourself.  Let go and let God.

          • Kathleen Maledon

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15, 2011
                  yes, definitely, micropens

                  Dawn

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 16, 2011
                    I tested ultra fine sharpies with smooth bristol board for the zentangles and it worked great. Starting with 7 inch squares on first day for grades 3 and 5. I have packets of pattern formation samples that I will show on white board and they will have at their table. you know how some kids just can't get the idea of how to start a pattern and make it more complex without something to actually copy first. Once they copy a few, they GET IT. I also encourage walking around and looking at what others are doing if they get stuck. By the time they get back to their table, the idea will become their own anyway. We once did an entire backdrop (HUGE) for ALice and Wonderland like this.....a zillion years ago in a former life, lol. It was awesome. Kids lay on the floor to draw on big taped together rolls of craft paper the length of the room and about 8 feet tall. So fun. It was amazing when it was finished.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 16, 2011
                      zow!  that must have looked cool.  I don't know what costs least, but I'd go with
                      it.  for those who are just packing away this info, the usual size is 2X2", hence, the need for ultra fine pens.  k`

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 16, 2011
                        That sounds REALLY cool!  And I can so see how it would work with Alice in Wonderland and down the rabbit hole!  I just did an 8x11 one to enter into the fair but I'm afraid no one will know what it is!  People will either go by and stare at it always seeing something new and unique--or they will think "who let a kid doodle into the adult art fair?"  LOL!

                        Dawn