Re: [art_education] Art 2x a week or teach preschoolers?

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
      are you serious!!!!!  4th and 5th!  the pre and K are so draining
      and time consuming and supplies consuming and wet their pants!!
      uh, did you get my vote?  :] k
      On Aug 2, 2011, at 8:13 AM, brenda wrote:

      I teach 6th and 7th every day and 1-5 1x a week.
      My schedule needs to be filled.  Would you. . .
      teach 4th and 5th 2x a week or go down to k and prek 4?

      Brenda

    • Jody Gore
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
        I love kindergarten and have 'art-ed' them for years, but 4 &5 grade are awesome to teach art to!

        Jody Gore
        DeSoto Arts Council Art Gallery, Manager
        318-858-2444
        Secretary

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
          I agree with going at least 2x a week for 4th and 5th. This will help get them used to doing more since they will be going to everyday in 6th grade. Though pre K and K can be taught alot and LOVE art because the whole world is a new experience for them, much of what you would be teaching them is also what they will be doing in their classroom ( fine motor skills, line & shape and colors etc.) Although pants wetting can happen I would not use that as my arguement for not going pK and K :). The younger they are the higher demand on you individually and the shorter the attention span. I do not know what your time frame is but If you go for the younger groups I recomend breaking the class period down into many smaller increments of different activities. It is nice that this decision is taking your opinion into account instead of the powers that be just telling you what you will be doing.