Re: [art_education] first day/week High School General Art Class: Tips & Suggestions?

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2011
      one game I've used it to sell a painting....in your case.
      put out seven or so prints and have kids walk to the one they like.
      as a group, they try to identify the pros of it and why people should buy it.
      give everyone a different amt of $ in an envelope.  After all presentations, kids can buy into which ever
      print they like.  the different amts of $, make the outcome more random
      than predetermined.  (no money may go to your own print)
      you can make this as complicated as you like by offering research
      material, poster board, whatever.  It gets to be funny because most incoming kids
      don't have the vocabulary to express what they think.  (elements of art
      on the board?) k
      On Aug 1, 2011, at 1:36 PM, Terri Frohman wrote:

      Hello!
      I am going to be starting a brand new curriculum because my principle
      has decided to through
      all of my previous art students in with the new incoming classes 9-12th
      grade.
      I am trying to revamp with what I have and seed out the lessons ive
      already done.
      I want to also incorporate more art history/appreciation where i can.
      For day one I was thinking of having the students pick their seats
      based on the artists name written on the chair. I may lso give them an
      example
      of their work taped to the back of the chair.
      Secondly, I would like to do a new portfolio project (they use these
      large white manila folders that we expandable)
      I have done many small projects on the cover, but I am looking for
      something new, challenging and
      creative they can turn their names into without it taking too long for
      our first "mini" project.
      Thirdly, I would also like to play the game where they must describe a
      painting to another student by using words only and then the other
      student must draw what they hear.

      Are there any other suggestions that you might want to share on
      portfolio designs, first week HIGH SCHOOL projects, getting to know you
      games that aren't too cheesy? My students are highly judgemental,
      scared, and havent yet built up a tone of confidence and I want to fin
      some new and interesting way to integrate the beginners with the more
      advanced students.

      thank you in advance for your support!
      terri
      NYC

    • MARYANN KOHL
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2011
        What a great idea!

        Another fun thing is "art clubs", where kids first brainstorm favorite artists or favorite art eras or movements or type of art.
        I like movements or types, like impressionistic, romantic, American illustrator, surreal, and so on. More room to move around, so to speak.
        Then they vote and narrow it down to five or six.
        Next they "join" the one they like best or second best. This group is their 'club'.
        The club decides what they will study  and what they will do, how they will report it, what kinds of art activities they will try out, if they will have a speaker or a field trip, etc. They also report to the rest of the class at the end with some kind of presentation.
        I've done this with grade two and grade six. Equally  successful.
        I'm sure it would work for high school... figuring out the groups based on "something"

        For example....

        With grade two's they kids went a different route: Their clubs were based on the interests in their own lives --
        1. great artists
        2. pets
        3. jungle animals
        4. motorcycles
        5. babies
        So in those groups, they found great artists and pieces of art reflecting their interests, and went from there.
        This was fun because it took them across eras and styles to find their interests.
        MaryAnn