Art on a Cart: Ideas?

  • The Eclectic Art Room
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      I will be teaching from an art cart for the first time this year (K-6). I would love ideas on how to make this work well! Anyone with experience and suggestions??

      I'll be at a new charter school, and 'new teacher induction' (for the entire staff) begins Monday. I'll be able to talk to the principal then to find out what kind of prep and storage space I'll have available (as well as what kind of supplies). I don't even know yet if the classrooms have sinks. So any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

      Thank you!!

      Rebecca

      http://elementalartroom.blogspot.com/
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2011
        Hi Rebecca! There are already many ideas in this group that have been posted for those who teach on a cart. Go the group's home page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education/ and do a search on "art on a cart." Make sure you include the quotation marks or you will get some posts that don't relate. Have fun! I can related. I did art on a cart for one very long year.

        Ken

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "The Eclectic Art Room" <dydrmblvr@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I will be teaching from an art cart for the first time this year (K-6). I would love ideas on how to make this work well! Anyone with experience and suggestions??
        >
        > I'll be at a new charter school, and 'new teacher induction' (for the entire staff) begins Monday. I'll be able to talk to the principal then to find out what kind of prep and storage space I'll have available (as well as what kind of supplies). I don't even know yet if the classrooms have sinks. So any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
        >
        > Thank you!!
        >
        > Rebecca
        >
        > http://elementalartroom.blogspot.com/

      • D Rickard
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
          oh how hard!  I was on a cart every period last year.  (not art though--science--almost as hard)  There is an article about how to organize a cart when you  are on one.  It costs 99cents, but is well worth it.  Let me see if I can find it for you.

          Dawn
          Sometimes the best things in life only come after you have totally given up trying to make things happen yourself.  Let go and let God.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
            Thanks Ken! I've started looking through the posts. I've also found some very helpful articles and information online. I'm going to view this as an opportunity to flex my creative muscles and hone my organization and efficiency skills! :)

          • kmartist1@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
              I was on a cart the past 2 years and have made note of some of the great ideas that were passed on to me. Here they are in no particular order.
              • Use stackable, flat clear plastic boxes with lids to keep student work in. You may not be able to get back to your storage to swap out art. This way you can stack several classes of work on your cart.
              • Use stackable clear plastic boxes to keep types of supplies in. For example, you may be doing printmaking in 2 classes and painting in 4. If you have a class set of supplies for each in boxes it is easy to stack them on the cart.
              • For clean-up, I use a 2 bucket and washcloth system. One bucket holds water with some antibacterial soap in it and the other is empty. I drop enough cheap washcloths (I get white ones from Big Lots or a dollar store) in the water for a class set. Squeeze them out and put them in the empty bucket. Damp cloths are distributed at the end of class for dirty hands, collected and dropped back into the water bucket to be squeezed out for the next class.
              • Try to do projects that use the same materials for your classes at the same time. Makes it easier to "tote around" the supplies.
              • Check out each classroom for video players, white boards, etc and keep notes. When you come across the great lesson that uses technology you will know what classes you can use it with.
              Kerry Marquis
              TeachPottery.Net
            • D Rickard
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2011
                also, look up the following on google "Teaching Art-on-a-cart" and

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
                  This is my fourth year teaching art-on-a-cart though i don't use a cart because of the way our school layout is, several different buildings, different levels... so i carry what i need. i can't say it's been easy. I am supposed to have a room next year. There are weeks where i feel full of energy and do great stuff and weeks where i don't want to look at another box of materials to carry which makes me feel bad because i love teaching art. As much as teaching art is wonderful, it can lead to quick burn out going room to room. My best weeks are when I keep materials SIMPLE and DRY. there are lots of higher order experiences and discussions you can have with the students and not make a huge mess (though i am looking forward to making a huge mess when I have a room!). Things with glue sticks, wire, different drawing materials, watercolour paints are manageable... I do lots of discussion because we have IWBs in each classroom where i can show artwork.

                  Depending on class times, some tables need to be dry for a math lesson, or some i can leave artwork to dry overnight... but then planning can get complicated. I also have very very limited storage and no prep space this year so not sure what you have. Prep space makes a huge difference. Not sure how helpful I have been, but do the best you can without causing a huge amount of stress for yourself. It is not ideal to do many of the lessons you may want to do, but it is possible to keep things creative and exciting.

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "The Eclectic Art Room" <dydrmblvr@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Ken! I've started looking through the posts. I've also found some very helpful articles and information online. I'm going to view this as an opportunity to flex my creative muscles and hone my organization and efficiency skills! :)
                  >
                  > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <kenroar@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Rebecca! There are already many ideas in this group that have been posted for those who teach on a cart. Go the group's home page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education/ and do a search on "art on a cart." Make sure you include the quotation marks or you will get some posts that don't relate. Have fun! I can related. I did art on a cart for one very long year.
                  > >
                  > > Ken
                  > >
                  > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "The Eclectic Art Room" <dydrmblvr@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi everyone,
                  > > >
                  > > > I will be teaching from an art cart for the first time this year (K-6). I would love ideas on how to make this work well! Anyone with experience and suggestions??
                  > > >
                  > > > I'll be at a new charter school, and 'new teacher induction' (for the entire staff) begins Monday. I'll be able to talk to the principal then to find out what kind of prep and storage space I'll have available (as well as what kind of supplies). I don't even know yet if the classrooms have sinks. So any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you!!
                  > > >
                  > > > Rebecca
                  > > >
                  > > > http://elementalartroom.blogspot.com/

                • mmurray5550
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
                    Hi,
                    I teach on a cart at some schools and in an art room at others and I certainly prefer the art room model but I must remind myself from time to time that when I teach on a cart I have far less work relating to room upkeep... Always a bright side!
                    Mary