homeschooling

  • Miki
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011
      I have some questions about homeschooling. I would really appreciate any info that would help me make decisions and choices in this new endeavor of mine.

      1. Where does someone do the teaching? In teacher's own home/studio?, In the student's home?, In a public or rented office/studio space?

      2. What is the general rule for fees?

      3. How often does a child get instruction? Once or twice a month? Once a week? Twice a week? Every day?

      4. Is this done individually or is it ok to teach more than one child at a time?

      5. How are the expense of supplies handled? Does the student/parent buy their own or does the teacher provide them all? Or both?

      6. What about field trips?

      Miki
    • D Rickard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011
            There are many types of homeshooling.  You need to find the type that is right for you.  some do "un-schooling" where kids basicly learn what tthey want to learn when they want to learn it, and some are really complicated--having a "school room" in their house totally decked out with whiteboards, etc.  The biggest thing is--get the child as much socialization as possible if you're going to home school.  See my personal answers below (they differ with the states)

        1. Where does someone do the teaching? In teacher's own home/studio?, In the student's home?, In a public or rented office/studio space?
        YOU CAN TEACH ANYWHERE.  If you are the mom, you teach your kid in your home.  HOMEBOUND is when a public school sends a teacher to the child's home or the child comes to a special room int he school system. These are two VERY different things.
        2. What is the general rule for fees?
        A HOMEBOUND teacher makes less than a regular teacher and has to use their own car to travel.  A parent must always be around when you are teaching the student.
        A HOMESCHOOLER doesn't require any fees and you don't make any money, but you have to purchase or get a curriculum for the child.  Some states will give you a copy of the textbooks, but no teacher manuals.

        3. How often does a child get instruction? Once or twice a month? Once a week? Twice a week? Every day?
        A HOMESCHOOLER can get instruction ANY time--monday to friday is ideal, but I teach my child on evenings, weekends, and holidays because I have a full time job.  Also, my mom helps teach her while she watches her for me.
        A HOMEBOUND student may have to be taught every day (if teaching is taking place in the school but in seperate environment), or so many times per week if you are seeing the child in their own home.  Usually art is not taught in homebound--only the 4 major subjects--science, math, english and social studies.  You have to be ready to teach any subject any time.
        4. Is this done individually or is it ok to teach more than one child at a time?
        HOMESCHOOLED--I know a woman that taught 3 of her kids at a time.  I know another that teaches all 6 of her kids at one time--all different grades.
        HOMEBOUND--is usually done one on one but when the parent is present
        5. How are the expense of supplies handled? Does the student/parent buy their own or does the teacher provide them all? Or both?
        HOMESCHOOLED--all expenses are supplied by you the parent.  The only supplies a school system MIGHT supply are kids copies of textbooks.  Not teachers editions of textbooks.
        HOMEBOUND--all supplies are supplied by the school, but you probably won't need any.  except paper and pen.  Teachers may give you assignments to oversee/do with the children OR they may require you to make up your own assignments and graded projects.  Anything that would usually be supplied by parents would be supplied by parents.
        6. What about field trips?
        HOMESCHOOLED--keep really good records--including field trips and how they can be educational.  Trips to the zoo, aquarium, etc. can all be educational field trips.  even a trip to the amusement park can be educational.  museums too.
        HOMEBOUND--I don't think they usually do field trips. They are on homebound for a reason.  Some may go on any field trips that their regular class goes on.  Homebound teachers jobs are basically to get the kids to pass their major classes.

        Hope this helps!

        Dawn
        Sometimes the best things in life only come after you have totally given up trying to make things happen yourself.  Let go and let God.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19, 2011
          Hi Miki,

          It sounds like you are talking about teaching Art to homeschool students? Are they your kids or are you talking about teaching to other homeschool students?

          If so, it can work lots of different ways depending on the students and their family's needs.

          I taught to homeschool families in upstate NY and advertised my services through their "coop" groups and homeschool groups online. Most of the time, several families would meet at one family's home and I would come there and teach a lesson to a group of students. These groups could be all ages, from 6-16. I would just modify the lesson for each skill level. I would not recommend meeting in your own home unless you have additional liability insurance. Things can happen and you don't want to get sued. Also, some areas do not allow running a business in your home.

          Curriculum can be preset by the teacher, or geared to the desires of the group. Is kind of fun writing curriculum for a subject they may be studying.

          As far as a fee, I have a set fee for private lessons (depends on number of students/length of lesson). I offered a discount to big groups (up to 12 studens). It works out well for families with lots of kids, and guarantees a certain amount each class.

          The number of times the students meet for class would be determined by the family and what they can afford (time/money). Most groups met once or twice a month.

          For supplies, this also can be worked out with parents. Some times it is easier for them if the instructor provides the supplies, you would just need to add that into your fee.

          Hope this helps and good luck in your "new endeavor"