Re: [art_education] opinion needed: include CD with new book?

  • Penny Lee
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
      The advantage of having a CD included is that a CD is portable where as your computer is not.  Yes, there are transportable laptops but the availability of wifi is limited for a laptop to access the Internet.  I'm thinking if you are riding in the car or a bus (plane, train).  Also, music is not intended to be listened to over the Internet.  I just think some of the quality is compromised.  Why not offer two versions, one with a CD (a little more expensive) and one without a CD (the buyer does the leg work). if you are in a decision jam?

      Penny

      On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM, MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...> wrote:

      Hello, Everyone.

      I'm hard at work on a new book called "Great Composers for Kids: Connecting to the Lives & Music of 50 Classic Composers Through Art, Activities, and Music", a bit of a side-step from my usual art books, though many of the connection projects are art. The idea of the book is to help kids remember and connect with the music or lives of the most famous classical composers so they will remember that composer's name and recognize a famous piece of music ... maybe the next book will be song writers, theatre, and so on ... this one is all the big names from the past like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Wagner, Vivaldi, and so forth.

      So-- I'm trying to  decide what buyers/readers/teachers/parents would expect on one issue: CD included or no CD included?
      If I don't have the CD, or if I do, I will have music for listening on my website either way:
      *** 50 selections (one for each composer) available on my website in a playlist, in the same order as they come in the book
      (I can also link to orchestras through youtube showing the pieces being played, and link to other interesting music websites about each composer.)

      Question: With all that is possible on the website, do you think I also need the CD included in the book? The CD would have 50 musical selections to match the 50 composers, but no other material.

      What would you expect if you were the buyer?

      I'd love to hear your responses. If you don't want to fill up our message board, you can write to me directly at maryann@...

      This is a very challenging book to write but I'm enjoying it and whooboyhowdy am I learning a lot.

      Thank you for helping me!!
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn

    • Elizabeth Adams Marks
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
        I agree with Lauren that the book should include a CD.  I use CD's, iTunes and Pandora Radio in my classroom.

        Elizabeth Adams-Marks

        Art Education St. Louis, MO

        Handmade Paper from Plants

        Book Arts - Illustration

        adams-markse@...

        http://www.2ndhandpaper.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
            Hi. I think your effort to keep the cost down, enabling more people to benefit from it, is an important point. Why not state that in the book, and put together a playlist on iTunes that would go with your book?  This way they can find everything in one place on iTunes without having to purchase all the songs on a cd? This way they might pay extra only if they want to. There might even be a free database of these songs for music educators to download the music from....for free....as long as it is for educational purposes. For example, when I taught art history in a college, I was able to download images from an art history database for free, as long as they were being utilized in my classroom.

            Good luck:-)))))

            Lauren R. Perlman
            Founder/Director
            Mummies and Masterpieces

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
              I will have a free database on my website, and probably can get the iTunes thing going too.
              And then offer a CD as well.
              But I'll probably try to include one with the book... so many people seem to like that.
              MaryAnn F. Kohl
              360 592 9201
              blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog