opinion needed: include CD with new book?

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
      Hello, Everyone.

      I'm hard at work on a new book called "Great Composers for Kids: Connecting to the Lives & Music of 50 Classic Composers Through Art, Activities, and Music", a bit of a side-step from my usual art books, though many of the connection projects are art. The idea of the book is to help kids remember and connect with the music or lives of the most famous classical composers so they will remember that composer's name and recognize a famous piece of music ... maybe the next book will be song writers, theatre, and so on ... this one is all the big names from the past like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Wagner, Vivaldi, and so forth.

      So-- I'm trying to  decide what buyers/readers/teachers/parents would expect on one issue: CD included or no CD included?
      If I don't have the CD, or if I do, I will have music for listening on my website either way:
      *** 50 selections (one for each composer) available on my website in a playlist, in the same order as they come in the book
      (I can also link to orchestras through youtube showing the pieces being played, and link to other interesting music websites about each composer.)

      Question: With all that is possible on the website, do you think I also need the CD included in the book? The CD would have 50 musical selections to match the 50 composers, but no other material.

      What would you expect if you were the buyer?

      I'd love to hear your responses. If you don't want to fill up our message board, you can write to me directly at maryann@...

      This is a very challenging book to write but I'm enjoying it and whooboyhowdy am I learning a lot.

      Thank you for helping me!!
      . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
      MaryAnn
    • Lauren
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
        You are amazing!

        I vote for CD included.....but perhaps a dowloadable playlist on itunes would be cool for the younger generation of teachers and maybe even parents and kids!

        Good luck and thank you for your amazing contributions to the world of education!!!!!

        Lauren R. Perlman
        Founder/Director
        Mummies and Masterpieces

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • De Anna Michelle
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
           I totally agree with Ms. Lauren!!!

          Keep up the GOOD WORkS,

          DeAnna MIchelle
          Shreveport, LA

          "Be who you are and be that well."
          - Saint Francis de Sales -

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
            Ps:  I would love to purchase this set...please keep me posted!

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
              I might be able to have a cd with short "themes" of the most popular part of the song... but with full recordings on my website. Otherwise it will be hard to get 50 examples on one CD.
              . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
              MaryAnn F. Kohl
              360 592 9201
              blog: maryannfkohl.typepad.com/blog

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
                The advantage of having a CD included is that a CD is portable where as your computer is not.  Yes, there are transportable laptops but the availability of wifi is limited for a laptop to access the Internet.  I'm thinking if you are riding in the car or a bus (plane, train).  Also, music is not intended to be listened to over the Internet.  I just think some of the quality is compromised.  Why not offer two versions, one with a CD (a little more expensive) and one without a CD (the buyer does the leg work). if you are in a decision jam?

                Penny

                On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:32 AM, MARYANN KOHL <maryann@...> wrote:

[...]

              • Elizabeth Adams Marks
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
                  I agree with Lauren that the book should include a CD.  I use CD's, iTunes and Pandora Radio in my classroom.

                  Elizabeth Adams-Marks

                  Art Education St. Louis, MO

                  Handmade Paper from Plants

                  Book Arts - Illustration

                  adams-markse@...

                  http://www.2ndhandpaper.blogspot.com/

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
                      Hi. I think your effort to keep the cost down, enabling more people to benefit from it, is an important point. Why not state that in the book, and put together a playlist on iTunes that would go with your book?  This way they can find everything in one place on iTunes without having to purchase all the songs on a cd? This way they might pay extra only if they want to. There might even be a free database of these songs for music educators to download the music from....for free....as long as it is for educational purposes. For example, when I taught art history in a college, I was able to download images from an art history database for free, as long as they were being utilized in my classroom.

                      Good luck:-)))))

                      Lauren R. Perlman
                      Founder/Director
                      Mummies and Masterpieces

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2011
                        I will have a free database on my website, and probably can get the iTunes thing going too.
                        And then offer a CD as well.
                        But I'll probably try to include one with the book... so many people seem to like that.