Re: [art_education] Oil portrait workshop

  • Kathleen Maledon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2011
      I find teeth, open mouth, and lips can turn a portrait into a cartoon...go slowly, step by step.
      and have each area dry first....pink teeth - not good!  k
      On Jun 29, 2011, at 6:26 AM, BrendaR wrote:

      I am teaching ages 7-13 self portraits in oil.
      My idea is this:
      Day 1: demonstrate drawing the face. Give the kids a template of an average face and point out measuring their own features against average proportions. Then they'll be using tracing paper and a mirror to draw their own faces while I photograph them one by one with a strong light source.
      That evening I will manipulate their photos in photoshop to push colors and show simplified, posterized faces.
      Day 2
      When finished, transfer their drawings to canvas with graph paper. Lay out limited palette of oils on palette paper. Discuss tools. Demonstrate painting the darks
      Day 3
      Demonstrate color theory and halftones and lights.
      Day 4
      Demonstrate redrawing darks, background and hair.
      Day 5
      Finish painting.

      Any suggestions? this has morphed into 16 students. I have a teen helper who's quite talented and another aide for a half day but I know this will be quite challenging. I only have them for 3 hours a day.