What is Fair Trade? Some links

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2011
      Greetings All,

      I got some questions to explain Fair Trade. Every artist/crafts' person wants to be paid a fair price for their art? right? Here are some good explanations.

      Link for Ten Thousand Villages Fair Trade:
      http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/php/fair.trade/fair.trade.values.php

      From the Fair Trade Organization:
      http://www.wfto.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1331&Itemid=293
      Copied from the site:
      >> Fair Trade is a trading partnership, based on dialogue, transparency and
      respect, that seeks greater equity in international trade. It
      contributes to sustainable development by offering better trading
      conditions to, and securing the rights of, marginalized producers and
      workers – especially in the South.
      Fair Trade organizations have a clear commitment to Fair Trade as the
      principal core of their mission. They, backed by consumers, are engaged
      actively in supporting producers, awareness raising and in campaigning
      for changes in the rules and practice of conventional international
      trade. They can be recognised by the WFTO logo.
      Fair Trade is more than just trading: it proves that greater justice in
      world trade is possible. It highlights the need for change in the rules
      and practice of conventional trade and shows how a successful business
      can also put people first.

      From SERRV:
      http://www.serrv.org/AboutUs.aspx

      All of the sites posted have a blurb about Fair Trade on their sites (except Africa Direct.. I have written the owner personally and know Africa Direct pays a fair price for everything they buy from Africa and Tibetan refugees).

      I like this concise statement (copied from a hang tag from something I bought from Global Gallery, Columbus, OH)

      Fair Trade offers Peace
      Fair Trade teaches Love
      Fair Trade celebrates Hope
      Fair Trade develops Strength
      Fair Trade honors Wisdom
      Fair Trade changes the World
                        one heart at a time
      (Definition compliments of Global Gallery, Columbus Ohio – Retailer offering Fair Trade International Hand Crafts)

      Thanks for asking.