Papermaking class: layering, couching, supplies

  • bzahurones
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2011
      I am teaching a class on papermaking and I seem to have the worst memory in the history of memories.

      What are my options for layering the paper to press and squeeze the water out? newspaper, wool felt or wool blankets? will a shammy be of any use?

      Why do I remember using a sponge to slowly wring out the paper? soak it up, wring it out in a bowl, do it again. Or is that just in making shapes? like a bowl?

      Do I need a specific fabric to lay the paper on to keep it from sticking? I seem to recall disposable dish towels?

      This I've not done before, but I was thinking of mixing a sheet of abaca with scraps of [cheap] paper to try to strengthen, but also stretch my budget. Is this a reasonable mix?

      Thanks.