Re: Switching to High School

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2011
      Thanks Ken. Motivation is going to be tricky especially with Studio Art which is the intro course and the required credit to graduate. I need a real hook to get them started! ALi

      > This happened to me my second year of teaching. I went from K-8 to 9-12. The biggest adaptation of course is the students themselves. They will be much more challenging and it will take more to motivate them. The thing that motivates them the most are lessons that relate to the real world. Examples might be animation or images relating to video games, a design for a new iPod app, or something else that is current to them and holds their interest.
      >
      > Ken
      >
      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > Next year I will be teaching high school (due to budget cuts elementary is slashed to half time and luckily the hs teacher is retiring.), any advice, tips, tricks, curriculum ideas, and resources will be greatly greatly appreciated! Thanks! Ali k-4 (for two more weeks)

    • agiannopoulosbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2011
        Hey,

        I work at an alternative H.S. and the absolute best advice I can give you is do not, under any circumstances, let them see you upset. Once they know how to push your buttons they will. Seems obvious but they will try and push you and try to get to you from every angle. and good luck!

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Next year I will be teaching high school (due to budget cuts elementary is slashed to half time and luckily the hs teacher is retiring.), any advice, tips, tricks, curriculum ideas, and resources will be greatly greatly appreciated! Thanks! Ali k-4 (for two more weeks)

      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2011
          Scope out what has been done.  Review the curriculum, does it fit your personality can you work with it.  If you are not comfortable with it trying to sell it to High School students will not be successful.  Check out the environment, the classroom, supplies, storage, get the lay of the land.  "You" need to know the space.  See if the previous teacher has examples of student work, you can check out what has been done with the assignments assigned.  Try not to change things to much in the beginning but gradually interject new things.  Being an elementary teacher you will need to watch your tone of voice, you are talking to adults (at least they think they are) not elementary students.  When I was teaching both elementary art and high school art I had to make a point to switch off the elementary tone to high school tone.  I have taught Elementary, Middle School and High School over the last 30 years so have had experience with all the levels. Keep asking questions that is the best part of an online community.  Congrads on keeping your position.

          Jeff