Adobe Software

  • subirdsings
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
      I teach at a small private International school. A few years ago, our IT person switched every computer to the Linux Operating system adding Open office, Gimp and all free software. Due to viruses, and not budgeting for other software.

      The students are being trained on Gimp, but only getting the basics. Many of my former students have returned telling me that in all of their universities they use Adobe Suite _ Illustrator, Photoshop etc...I think we are doing our students a disservice by not having it available.

      For three years I have been trying to have the school purchase at least one computer with Adobe Software, but they don't feel it is important enough. Our Principle told me that I should write every Art college and find out what they expect the students to be proficient at before entering. even though I had 25 written statements by former students.

      I also have AP and feel that my students should be allowed access to this software. I encourage my students to practice and grow their skills at home.

      Can anyone give me advice, Should I press this issue, what other evidence can I give? I do not think it's a budget issue. It's a power struggle with the IT man.

      Do you have Adobe at your schools? Please help me.

      Thanks,
      Sue
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2011
        Sue,

        I guess you have to play his game and contact all the art schools about their preference - even though you and I both know what that will be. A few letters from college faculty might be enough for him.

        Speaking as college faculty who sometimes teaches computer graphics, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop are the two most popular programs among artists. If you are talking about animation or special effects relating to film, then other programs would come into play. At the high school level, however, nothing could be better than the Adobe Creative Suite of software.

        Speaking as someone who has had to deal with IT people, I can tell you that one of the qualifications for the job is arrogance. Some can get pretty out of control. Good luck with this one!

        Ken

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, subirdsings <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I teach at a small private International school. A few years ago, our IT person switched every computer to the Linux Operating system adding Open office, Gimp and all free software. Due to viruses, and not budgeting for other software.
        >
        > The students are being trained on Gimp, but only getting the basics. Many of my former students have returned telling me that in all of their universities they use Adobe Suite _ Illustrator, Photoshop etc...I think we are doing our students a disservice by not having it available.
        >
        > For three years I have been trying to have the school purchase at least one computer with Adobe Software, but they don't feel it is important enough. Our Principle told me that I should write every Art college and find out what they expect the students to be proficient at before entering. even though I had 25 written statements by former students.
        >
        > I also have AP and feel that my students should be allowed access to this software. I encourage my students to practice and grow their skills at home.
        >
        > Can anyone give me advice, Should I press this issue, what other evidence can I give? I do not think it's a budget issue. It's a power struggle with the IT man.
        >
        > Do you have Adobe at your schools? Please help me.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sue

      • Michael Gerrish
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011
          It is possible to install a plug-in for GIMP which gives the program a photoshop "skin". Google it.

          Sent from my iPod
        • Michele
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011
            Adobe was taken off our pcs as well we struggled with gimp but now have paint.net a free program comparable to Photoshop. It isn't Photoshop but it works better than Gimp and has similar set set up to Photoshop. And most IT people are hard to deal with!
          • subirdsings
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011
              I teach at a small private International school. A few years ago, our IT person switched every computer to the Linux Operating system adding Open office, Gimp and all free software. Due to viruses, and not budgeting for other software.

              The students are being trained on Gimp, but only getting the basics. Many of my former students have returned telling me that in all of their universities they use Adobe Suite _ Illustrator, Photoshop etc...I think we are doing our students a disservice by not having it available.

              For three years I have been trying to have the school purchase at least one computer with Adobe Software, but they don't feel it is important enough. Our Principal told me that I should write every Art college and find out what they expect the students to be proficient at before entering. even though I had 25 written statements by former students.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011
                You already posted this. Did you not see the replies to your post?