Sign Language and Art Colors

  • MissCaiola@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30 4:08 PM
      Greetings fellow Art Educators:

      I have a question about working with special needs students, specifically hearing impared students.  I have had some of my hearing impared students ask how they should sign some colors from the Crayola box of 96 colors.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of where I might find some help on this?  I have already contacted Crayola directly (via email) and am awaiting their response.  I was curious if anyone else out there has had this same issue?  Any ideas?

      I know how to sign the basics: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, white, gray and pink.  How do I sign Purple Mountain's Majesty, Magenta, Scarlet, etc?  With all of these creative color names, besides spelling them, shouldn't there be a way to sign them?

      Patti in Ohio
      MissCaiola@...
    • Ken Rohrer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31 9:25 PM
        You can find some colors at:

        http://library.thinkquest.org/10202/color.html
        http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/signs.htm

        Of course if these sites don't include the color you
        need, you can always sign each alphabetical letter in
        the word.

        Ken

        === message truncated ===
      • MissCaiola@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
          Thanks Ken and all who have made some great suggestions and taken the time to help.  I emailed Crayola directly, as well as the National Association for the Hearing Impared.  The National Association of the Hearing Impared responded and suggested that I contact the American Sign Language Teachers Association.  I will share any information they provide me with the list.

          Patti in Ohio
          MissCaiola@...