Re: [art_education] Layoffs for art teachers

  • Steph Walkley
    Message 1 of 30 , May 27, 2011
      On 5/26/2011 11:08 PM, Ken wrote:

      I teach online courses for school administrators and many report that there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are reporting that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about neighboring schools you are aware of?

      Ken

      In Arizona, they are being riffed.  Some still have jobs but there are not full contracts.  One district has made all fine arts teachers travel and cut their contracts to 3/5 contracts to avoid paying benefits.  Our district has cut half of the music and one visual arts.  Our budget at the high school is based on class fees paid by students.  It is tough at the moment.  I have contemplated leaving education.  Next year will be my 18th year and I am done with stupid politicians making policies involving education.  Education practices and policies should only be made by educators!

      Stephanie
    • Keisha Pegues
      Message 2 of 30 , May 27, 2011
        Wow Donna that's crazy. I wasn't layoff

        Message 3 of 30 , May 27, 2011
          OOPS. I meant to erase and not post!!!

          Ken, I have been excessed after 12 years in my district.
          Art has been eliminated in the HIGH SCHOOL! Now the kids have to
          take music there, there is NO choice.  The HS art teacher has
          seniority, so she is coming to my middle school position.

          This is a poor district and the elementary art positions were eliminated
          8years ago. And get this- they choose to keep the 4 music positions
          in the district. According to the board or whatever powers that be,
          black children are more musically inclined.
          What about the future Romare Beardens, Johnsons, Audubons, Eric Carles,
          etc, etc etc?

          Donna

          On May 27, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Ken wrote:

          > I teach online courses for school administrators and many report that there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are reporting that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about neighboring schools you are aware of?
          >
          >  Ken

        • MaryAnn
          Message 4 of 30 , May 27, 2011
            Did they really say black kids are better at music than art? Hello, Dark Ages!!

            Sent from my Mobile Phone

            From: Keisha Pegues <kay_r_pee@...>
            Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com

            OOPS. I meant to erase and not post!!!

            Ken, I have been excessed after 12 years in my district.
            Art has been eliminated in the HIGH SCHOOL! Now the kids have to
            take music there, there is NO choice.  The HS art teacher has
            seniority, so she is coming to my middle school position.

            This is a poor district and the elementary art positions were eliminated
            8years ago. And get this- they choose to keep the 4 music positions
            in the district. According to the board or whatever powers that be,
            black children are more musically inclined.
            What about the future Romare Beardens, Johnsons, Audubons, Eric Carles,
            etc, etc etc?

            Donna

            On May 27, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Ken wrote:

            > I teach online courses for school administrators and many report that there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are reporting that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about neighboring schools you are aware of?
            >
            >  Ken

          • Lenny Sanz
            Message 5 of 30 , May 27, 2011
              That's basically what I've been hearing for 12 years.

              On May 27, 2011, at 1:50 PM, MaryAnn wrote:

              > Did they really say black kids are better at music than art? Hello,
              > Dark Ages!!
              >
              > Sent from my Mobile Phone
              > From: Keisha Pegues <kay_r_pee@...>
              > Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
              > To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
              > ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [art_education] Layoffs for art teachers
              >

              > OOPS. I meant to erase and not post!!!

            • MaryAnn
              Message 6 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                In our part of Washington state there has not been elementary art for more than 30 years.

                Sent from my Mobile Phone

                Message 7 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                  I am in Arizona and if you know anything about Arizona you know about the state of education in Arizona and immigration.  The state legislature famously cuts away at education to the point where teachers / educators have no idea what recourse they will have in teaching the students of the state.  I say all of this as a preface to saying that Arizona, as unbelievable as it might seem, has a state mandate to teach Art in its public schools.  Obviously, it is something that had been put in place when there were more libels in the state legislature or at least people with more sense than those who are in the majority now.penny Lee

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                    Sounds like the board is pretty ignorant in this area. Have you attempted to enlighten them in any way?

                    Ken

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Sanz <elfbab@...> wrote:

                    > Ken, I have been excessed after 12 years in my district.
                    > Art has been eliminated in the HIGH SCHOOL! Now the kids have to
                    > take music there, there is NO choice. The HS art teacher has
                    > seniority, so she is coming to my middle school position.
                    >
                    > This is a poor district and the elementary art positions were eliminated
                    > 8years ago. And get this- they choose to keep the 4 music positions
                    > in the district. According to the board or whatever powers that be,
                    > black children are more musically inclined.
                    > What about the future Romare Beardens, Johnsons, Audubons, Eric Carles,
                    > etc, etc etc?
                    >
                    > Donna
                    >

                    > On May 27, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Ken wrote:
                    >
                    > > I teach online courses for school administrators and many report that
                    > > there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are reporting
                    > > that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the
                    > > elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your
                    > > districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about
                    > > neighboring schools you are aware of?
                    > >
                    > > Ken

                  • Kerri Gordon
                    Message 9 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                      that is good to know about Arizona...Wisconsin is going through some tough times right now with 800 million in education cuts...my allergies and my worries about my job being cut are helping me think that Arizona might be the right place for me! LOL
                      Kerri Gordon
                      aRt TEaCHeR
                      Northwood School
                      715-466-2297

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                        I teach K-8 in Missouri, in a very rural school.  I have not heard of any cuts in the arts program in my school or in the area schools.  I do know that of the art positions that have opened in the past few years in area schools, have not be filled by experienced teachers, only art instructors with no experience or a year or two.  This is good news for recent graduates, but not for art instructors that have experience that need a job.

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                          In my part of Washington state – Whatcom County in Western Washington – we have never had any kind of art specialist, even one that travels, for the elementary schools... and this has been the case for over 30 years. No one gripes, because no one can remember ever having art in elementary ... so it is a non-issue for parents because they don't know that it is possible! Luckily we have good people in middle school and high school, but art is an elective at that level, and many kids get pulled by orchestra or band, when they want art too. They can't have both. I would say there are many children who have never had any art whatsoever, unless they had it in preschool or if their teacher happened to bring it into the classroom. Stunned by the thought of it.

                          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                          MaryAnn

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 27, 2011

                            In Tulsa, Oklahoma, the public school system just closed 14 schools.  They are funneling as many teachers as possible into open positions at other schools but art is the least on their mind.   Many teachers will be losing their jobs.   Private schools are options but the openings are usually filled with someone who knows someone.   Our private school of 1100 students had only 4 teacher openings-all were filled by people who had been permanent subs or former teachers who came back.

                            Cindy

                          • MARYANN KOHL
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                              And the "media" keeps "reporting" (is that the word?) that the economy is improving. Thanks, Media! Now try reporting the truth. Foreclosures are growing where I am located, as are all other kinds of closures of hundreds of small businesses and numerous schools. We are not improving...we are falling apart. Is there some reason the media can't report what is actually going on?

                                Message 15 of 30 , May 27, 2011
                                  On 5/27/2011 12:06 PM, Penny Lee wrote:

[...]

                                  I would like to know the details of that mandate as many districts including mine are probably ignorant of it.  I taught in Virginia for 12 years and was shocked to find the district I am in does not offer elementary art yet expect AP Studio performance in high school.
                                • Gayle Parent
                                  Message 16 of 30 , May 28, 2011
                                    I live in AZ also, and the arts are not safe everywhere in the state. I taught in a district just outside of Phoenix that had no elementary visual arts teachers over the 17 years that I was there, and I don't know how many years that went back into the past. The classroom teacher was expected to teach visual arts, but during this decade of test, test, test, the principal would visibly frown if she "caught" you teaching art. (Ie: If it's not tested we don't have time for it.) I took a 12 thousand dollar per year pay cut to move to a district that does have elementary art so that I could teach art. People say that visual arts will not be cut in my current district because we have a strong union that guarantees all teachers a 40 minute prep period each day, and that is provided by special area teachers. So...we are appreciated by teachers for our ability to give them their prep time. Some really appreciate what we do in the art classroom too! Our class sizes are increasing, however, making teaching more difficult.

                                    Kerri, come to Arizona if you want to, but don't come for allergy relief, that probably won't work. I am among the AZ allergy sufferers, and it seems like everyone I know has allergies. I think AZ allergy relief is a thing of the past. People who moved here brought their favorite trees and grasses from "back home" and therefore we have all sorts of allergens. The native AZ plants do not cause allergy suffering. Sorry for the bad news. However, you never have to shovel anything if you live in Phoenix, we rarely have tornadoes, no hurricanes. Just heat that keeps us inside much of the summer. We have !00 degree days from as early as April to as late as September. Flagstaff, Payson, Snowflake have a whole different climate.

                                    Good luck all,
                                    gayle
                                  • Resp
                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 28, 2011
                                      I am surprised (not really) that some places have no elementary art at all since it is one of the core subjects listed by the DOE. Parents need to be educated how important the art are to educate the whole child. Just a few big mouths can get an art program going in their schools. In my district in Co Springs almost all of the elementary schools have an art teacher but some are minimal...art on a cart, once a month etc. I have been part time for 7 years and have no tenure so every year the district tells me they won't be rehiring for my position...but I have managed to hang in there despite some school closures and other fun stuff.
                                      Robin in CO
                                      link to hope?
                                      http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/05/12/reinvesting-arts-education-winning-america-s-future-through-creative-schools

                                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Gayle Parent <gayleparent@...> wrote:

                                      > I live in AZ also, and the arts are not safe everywhere in the state. I taught in a district just outside of Phoenix that had no elementary visual arts teachers over the 17 years that I was there, and I don't know how many years that went back into the past. The classroom teacher was expected to teach visual arts, but during this decade of test, test, test, the principal would visibly frown if she "caught" you teaching art. (Ie: If it's not tested we don't have time for it.) I took a 12 thousand dollar per year pay cut to move to a district that does have elementary art so that I could teach art. People say that visual arts will not be cut in my current district because we have a strong union that guarantees all teachers a 40 minute prep period each day, and that is provided by special area teachers. So...we are appreciated by teachers for our ability to give them their prep time. Some really appreciate what we do in the art classroom too! Our class sizes are increasing, however, making teaching more difficult.
                                      >
                                      > Kerri, come to Arizona if you want to, but don't come for allergy relief, that probably won't work. I am among the AZ allergy sufferers, and it seems like everyone I know has allergies. I think AZ allergy relief is a thing of the past. People who moved here brought their favorite trees and grasses from "back home" and therefore we have all sorts of allergens. The native AZ plants do not cause allergy suffering. Sorry for the bad news. However, you never have to shovel anything if you live in Phoenix, we rarely have tornadoes, no hurricanes. Just heat that keeps us inside much of the summer. We have !00 degree days from as early as April to as late as September. Flagstaff, Payson, Snowflake have a whole different climate.
                                      >
                                      > Good luck all,
                                      > gayle

                                    • Joyce Rainwalker
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 28, 2011
                                        Ken,

                                        The town where my small district is located is about a half hour's
                                        drive from Washington's state capitol, Olympia. Many schools
                                        (elementary included) have art teachers, but the difference between
                                        the 8 billion dollars our state budget (dependent on sales taxes) is
                                        short and education needs is a shock. One lawsuit is working its way
                                        through the courts that deals with the illegality of ignoring the
                                        state constitution's dictate that education is the primary
                                        responsibility, but the budget that was agreed upon this week cuts
                                        teacher salaries by 1.9% and all other education jobs (custodians to
                                        supes) by 3%.

                                        Our high school "half timed" both art teachers - one taught drawing
                                        and the other, ceramics - this year and has decided not to replace
                                        the ceramics teacher who is leaving. That leaves them with one
                                        teacher. For the moment, elementary art, music, PE, and library are
                                        safe, but it's only because teachers' contracts guarantee them
                                        planning time. I'm 50 people from the bottom of the RIF list this
                                        year by virtue of my four years at my site, but if my state
                                        continues to under tax itself and grant huge concessions to large
                                        corporation and big business, art and the rest of public education
                                        are on the way towards extinction.

                                        We continue to hear rosy forecasts for the economy, as well. That's
                                        not surprising when one considers that big business (which IS doing
                                        well - woo hoo!) controls traditional media feeds and much (all?) of
                                        the political process.

                                        Joyce - K-5 art specialist in western WA
                                        > 3. Layoffs for art teachers
                                        > Posted by: "Ken" kenroar@... kenroar
                                        > Date: Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 pm ((PDT))
                                        >
                                        > I teach online courses for school administrators and many report that there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are reporting that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about neighboring schools you are aware of?
                                        >
                                        > Ken

                                      • MaryAnn
                                        Message 19 of 30 , May 28, 2011
                                          So interesting... Wonder how our county including bellingham, WA offer nO art in elementary?? - am going to look into this.

                                          Sent from my Mobile Phone

                                          From: Joyce Rainwalker <joycerainwalker@...>
                                          Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 09:55:05 -0700
                                          To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
                                          ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subject: [art_education] Re: Layoffs for art teachers

                                          Ken,

                                          The town where my small district is located is about a half hour's
                                          drive from Washington's state capitol, Olympia. Many schools
                                          (elementary included) have art teachers, but the difference between
                                          the 8 billion dollars our state budget (dependent on sales taxes) is
                                          short and education needs is a shock. One lawsuit is working its way
                                          through the courts that deals with the illegality of ignoring the
                                          state constitution's dictate that education is the primary
                                          responsibility, but the budget that was agreed upon this week cuts
                                          teacher salaries by 1.9% and all other education jobs (custodians to
                                          supes) by 3%.

                                          Our high school "half timed" both art teachers - one taught drawing
                                          and the other, ceramics - this year and has decided not to replace
                                          the ceramics teacher who is leaving. That leaves them with one
                                          teacher. For the moment, elementary art, music, PE, and library are
                                          safe, but it's only because teachers' contracts guarantee them
                                          planning time. I'm 50 people from the bottom of the RIF list this
                                          year by virtue of my four years at my site, but if my state
                                          continues to under tax itself and grant huge concessions to large
                                          corporation and big business, art and the rest of public education
                                          are on the way towards extinction.

                                          We continue to hear rosy forecasts for the economy, as well. That's
                                          not surprising when one considers that big business (which IS doing
                                          well - woo hoo!) controls traditional media feeds and much (all?) of
                                          the political process.

                                          Joyce - K-5 art specialist in western WA

                                          > 3. Layoffs for art teachers
                                          > Posted by: "Ken" kenroar@... kenroar
                                          > Date: Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 pm ((PDT))
                                          >
                                          > I teach online courses for school administrators and many report that there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are reporting that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about neighboring schools you are aware of?
                                          >
                                          > Ken

                                        • Kathleen Maledon
                                          Message 20 of 30 , May 28, 2011
                                            there is a reason for keeping music...there are many families who cannot afford
                                            private music lessons.  the school picks up the tab.  music education can
                                            transition into a band scholarship.  music ed equals more students .  dems the facts and they aint pretty.  k

                                                Message 23 of 30 , May 28, 2011
                                                  On 5/28/2011 6:43 AM, Gayle Parent wrote:

[...]

                                                  Gayle please contact me privately......

                                                  I teach outside of Phoenix too.....

                                                  Stephanie
                                                • Lenny Sanz
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , May 30, 2011
                                                    My school's halls and cafeteria are filled with art.
                                                    There's always art connected to every event.
                                                    Other than that, I've not appeared at board meetings.

                                                    On May 27, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Ken wrote:

                                                    > Sounds like the board is pretty ignorant in this area. Have you
                                                    > attempted to enlighten them in any way?
                                                    >
                                                    > Ken
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Lenny Sanz <elfbab@...> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Ken, I have been excessed after 12 years in my district.
                                                    > > Art has been eliminated in the HIGH SCHOOL! Now the kids have to
                                                    > > take music there, there is NO choice. The HS art teacher has
                                                    > > seniority, so she is coming to my middle school position.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > This is a poor district and the elementary art positions were
                                                    > eliminated
                                                    > > 8years ago. And get this- they choose to keep the 4 music positions
                                                    > > in the district. According to the board or whatever powers that be,
                                                    > > black children are more musically inclined.
                                                    > > What about the future Romare Beardens, Johnsons, Audubons, Eric
                                                    > Carles,
                                                    > > etc, etc etc?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Donna
                                                    > >

                                                    > > On May 27, 2011, at 2:08 AM, Ken wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > > I teach online courses for school administrators and many report
                                                    > that
                                                    > > > there are massive layoffs going on in the U.S. now. Many are
                                                    > reporting
                                                    > > > that their arts programs are being eliminated- especially at the
                                                    > > > elementary level. I am curious as to the state of the arts in your
                                                    > > > districts. Are you losing art teachers and/or programs? What about
                                                    > > > neighboring schools you are aware of?
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Ken

                                                  • Diane Davis
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , May 30, 2011
                                                      Our district highly supports the arts, citing many of the new
                                                      educational books about global warming and the future of jobs. they
                                                      state that the arts and creative thinking are what is going to pull
                                                      the US out of this recession. So we are well supported with lots of
                                                      classes available at the middle school level and AP art classes at the
                                                      high school. We are lucky to have them really thinking about 21st
                                                      century skills, because the arts are always listed as extremely
                                                      important.
                                                      diane