Re: End of year - what worked well for you this year

  • Susun Gallery
    Message 1 of 9 , May 23 8:58 AM
      One of my favorites, pencil and paper...is a game really, about composition.  Of the 5 Art ABC's; line, shape, color, form, color, composition...Composition is key.  If you don't have a good composition, it doesn't matter how well you draw:

      On 8x11's, first decide, vertical or horizontal.
      I usually work out a composition of my own on a large white board to help the few students who don't have a clue.

      Then explore random or thematic objects,  (both work)...anything that can precede "the".   Things in a garage, things in a kitchen, things in your backpack, a makeup kit, a convenience store....   Kids call out various things and I stay subjective about this, while I make a list on the board.  No other objects are allowed other than the ones we decide on.

      First, decisions about where to place the object,  how big to make it,  to draw all or part,  "artistic license" as to how to interpret it,  how inspiring is the object,  large or small,  so many choices,
      but they start to see the blank paper as a safe place to express themselves conceptually.  Sometimes if I don't like the object, I hide it or just draw part, as in "dog", drawing only the tail leading out of the picture.

      What happens is we end up with these surreal and often cubist type compositions that tie unrelated objects together.   Objects become arrows that point to other objects, usually something becomes a focal point and an eye path is created.  We explore the percentage of positive and negative space, quiet places, doors that lead you out of the composition, etc.

      Then we share and kids start to realize it's not about the drawing, or what your drawing, it's about being a composer.  Some of these look great in color reproduced on bristol board and upside-down.

      The clean up is divine.