computer art and animation

  • susungallery@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 16 , May 20 9:15 AM
      I'm an art teacher of 25 years and own a small art school in Santa Cruz. I stay busy with the usual drawing, painting and ceramic programs, but am intrigued with the computer as a medium.

      Students really want to use and understand this venue, probably because of the fabulous 3D animated graphics seen in video games and on TV. I think I could offer a class in amateur claymation, but as much as I love Wallace & Grommit, that's not what they want.

      Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add a program like this without taking up too much space? My studio classroom is only 700 sq. ft., and then we have a small student gallery around 300. I just want a launch pad for students interested in this field.

      I went on a tour of the Pixar studios...very grand and sterile, a foreign world to me. I have clay silt, hard enough to contend with when painting. Perhaps I can set up a couple of "stations" in the gallery area.

      Has anyone had success with this?
      susun
      susungallery.com
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 16 , May 20 2:32 PM
        I know what you mean about Pixar. I toured the Garfield studios (Jim Davis, the artist) awhile back with my art club. They were spacious studios with a restaurant and exercise facility. They had a spacious lounge. The thinking was that frequently artists have creative meltdowns and need some R&R or break to regain it. He had about 40 people on staff just in that facility. The students were very motivated, however. Many would love to continue in the arts

        Ken

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "susungallery@..." <susungallery@...> wrote:

        > I'm an art teacher of 25 years and own a small art school in Santa Cruz. I stay busy with the usual drawing, painting and ceramic programs, but am intrigued with the computer as a medium.
        >
        > Students really want to use and understand this venue, probably because of the fabulous 3D animated graphics seen in video games and on TV. I think I could offer a class in amateur claymation, but as much as I love Wallace & Grommit, that's not what they want.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add a program like this without taking up too much space? My studio classroom is only 700 sq. ft., and then we have a small student gallery around 300. I just want a launch pad for students interested in this field.
        >
        > I went on a tour of the Pixar studios...very grand and sterile, a foreign world to me. I have clay silt, hard enough to contend with when painting. Perhaps I can set up a couple of "stations" in the gallery area.
        >
        > Has anyone had success with this?
        > susun
        > susungallery.com

      • henlaojim
        Message 3 of 16 , May 20 11:07 PM
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "susungallery@..." <susungallery@...> wrote:

          > I'm an art teacher of 25 years and own a small art school in Santa Cruz. I stay busy with the usual drawing, painting and ceramic programs, but am intrigued with the computer as a medium.
          >
          > Students really want to use and understand this venue, probably because of the fabulous 3D animated graphics seen in video games and on TV. I think I could offer a class in amateur claymation, but as much as I love Wallace & Grommit, that's not what they want.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add a program like this without taking up too much space? My studio classroom is only 700 sq. ft., and then we have a small student gallery around 300. I just want a launch pad for students interested in this field.
          >
          > I went on a tour of the Pixar studios...very grand and sterile, a foreign world to me. I have clay silt, hard enough to contend with when painting. Perhaps I can set up a couple of "stations" in the gallery area.
          >
          > Has anyone had success with this?
          > susun
          > susungallery.com

          I don't have much experience with clay animation but I had some success with introducing animation by teaching the kids to make zootrope strips, cutting those into 12 pieces, and scanning them all into the computer and reassembling them as animated gifs. They can develop and try out animations using the margins of old books to flip through and then use that motion to make the strip for the zootrope, which you should be able to make and run on an old 45rpm record player.

          It's a nice historical and technical approach to the basics of animation.
        • Raylene

            Message 5 of 16 , May 21 8:30 AM
              I suppose I just have to get comfortable with the medium, the results are rewarding, but technical and time consuming in the absence of the paint I love.  It's the future of lucrative art, and I don't want to mislead my students to believe they can make a living painting pictures.  Thanks for the input.

              On May 20, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Ken wrote:

              I know what you mean about Pixar. I toured the Garfield studios (Jim Davis, the artist) awhile back with my art club. They were spacious studios with a restaurant and exercise facility. They had a spacious lounge. The thinking was that frequently artists have creative meltdowns and need some R&R or break to regain it. He had about 40 people on staff just in that facility. The students were very motivated, however. Many would love to continue in the arts

              Ken

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "susungallery@..." <susungallery@...> wrote:

              > I'm an art teacher of 25 years and own a small art school in Santa Cruz. I stay busy with the usual drawing, painting and ceramic programs, but am intrigued with the computer as a medium.
              >
              > Students really want to use and understand this venue, probably because of the fabulous 3D animated graphics seen in video games and on TV. I think I could offer a class in amateur claymation, but as much as I love Wallace & Grommit, that's not what they want.
              >
              > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add a program like this without taking up too much space? My studio classroom is only 700 sq. ft., and then we have a small student gallery around 300. I just want a launch pad for students interested in this field.
              >
              > I went on a tour of the Pixar studios...very grand and sterile, a foreign world to me. I have clay silt, hard enough to contend with when painting. Perhaps I can set up a couple of "stations" in the gallery area.
              >
              > Has anyone had success with this?
              > susun
              > susungallery.com

            • Brandy
              Message 6 of 16 , May 22 6:02 AM
                > The final thing is a cord they call a "grabber".
                Can you send a link for this accessory? I tried looking it up and any number of google word smithing didn't help me find it. I am doing claymation with my students next year- & maybe this summer- and am gleaning a lot from this conversation.
                Regards,
                Brandy
              • Raylene Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 16 , May 22 7:11 AM
                  Sorry. I will investigate the actual name tomorrow at school and get back to you. It is a USB cord that goes from camera to laptop, if that helps in the short term

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On 22/05/2011, at 11:02 PM, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

                  > The final thing is a cord they call a "grabber".
                  Can you send a link for this accessory? I tried looking it up and any number of google word smithing didn't help me find it. I am doing claymation with my students next year- & maybe this summer- and am gleaning a lot from this conversation.
                  Regards,
                  Brandy

                • LINDA WOODS
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 22 2:19 PM
                    Thanks for all the feedback and ideas! Funny thing, we DID do mixed breed drawings animals in 5th grade as a final project, and they always LOVE that. I'll make a note now of some of these other cool ideas for next year. Thanks for taking the time at this zoned out time of year! Happy Summer, all!!!
                    Linda
                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Raylene <raylenewilkinson@...> wrote:

                    > We've recently had a go at claymation and we completed very basic few second clips in an hour and a half session with grade three students. They planned and created the whole thing in one session. I am working on longer pieces with the older classes but I can't show these yet as they are unfinished. If you're on Facebook join the rosedale primary school page (Victoria Australia) and there are three examples posted only this week. To complete them we used a program called stop motion pro which cost us au$70 so maybe $65 u.s. We also needed a digital camera and a tripod. The final thing is a cord they call a "grabber". It is super simple and I think there are actually photos of the whole thing underway on the fb page too so you will get an idea of the simplicity. I've tried a few different ways to do claymation over the years and this is absolutely the best way I've encountered. As I said, the ones on fb are done by 8 year olds in an hour and a half so while they're very rudimentary the children were so pleased with their work
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On 21/05/2011, at 2:15 AM, "susungallery@..." <susungallery@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm an art teacher of 25 years and own a small art school in Santa Cruz. I stay busy with the usual drawing, painting and ceramic programs, but am intrigued with the computer as a medium.
                    > >
                    > > Students really want to use and understand this venue, probably because of the fabulous 3D animated graphics seen in video games and on TV. I think I could offer a class in amateur claymation, but as much as I love Wallace & Grommit, that's not what they want.
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can add a program like this without taking up too much space? My studio classroom is only 700 sq. ft., and then we have a small student gallery around 300. I just want a launch pad for students interested in this field.
                    > >
                    > > I went on a tour of the Pixar studios...very grand and sterile, a foreign world to me. I have clay silt, hard enough to contend with when painting. Perhaps I can set up a couple of "stations" in the gallery area.
                    > >
                    > > Has anyone had success with this?
                    > > susun
                    > > susungallery.com

                  • Vickie Ahearn
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 23 3:53 AM

                      Never heard the term grabber  before.  I use a firewire cable  (IEEE 1394 High Speed Serial Bus) it transmits data to and from high-bandwidth digital devices faster than USB.

                      Vickie

                    • christinereg
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 23 6:00 AM
                        I am currently doing clay animation with my junior high kids. I have photos already from my digital camera, but I don't know what software to download/purchase. I just want something easy, a plug and play kind of program that will put my photos together quickly into an animated film. Any ideas? Thanks!

                        Christine

                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Vickie Ahearn <vahearn@...> wrote:

                        > Never heard the term grabber before. I use a firewire cable (IEEE 1394
                        > High Speed Serial Bus) - it transmits data to and from high-bandwidth
                        > digital devices faster than USB.
                        >
                        > Vickie

                      • Susun Gallery
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 23 7:56 AM
                          I'm no expert and just beginning to explore this field, but I've watched artists at the Mac store in Los Gatos put together creative film in iMovie.  They were teaching students how to insert photos into existing video, along with music, voice over, and drawings....some interesting effects.  It seems to be all in the measurement and conceptual calculations...timing is everything.

                          The One to One program is fabulous if you can commit to going once a week and are lucky enough to live near an Apple store.  Sometimes you can enroll in the program if you know someone who is buying a computer, they can enroll up to 5 people I think at the time.

                          I appreciate everyone's input on this subject,
                          The best to you in Art,
                          Susun

                          On May 23, 2011, at 6:00 AM, christinereg wrote:

                          I am currently doing clay animation with my junior high kids. I have photos already from my digital camera, but I don't know what software to download/purchase. I just want something easy, a plug and play kind of program that will put my photos together quickly into an animated film. Any ideas? Thanks!

                          Christine

                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Vickie Ahearn <vahearn@...> wrote:

                          > Never heard the term grabber before. I use a firewire cable (IEEE 1394
                          > High Speed Serial Bus) - it transmits data to and from high-bandwidth
                          > digital devices faster than USB.
                          >
                          > Vickie

                        • Brandy
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 24 5:49 AM
                            The last time we did claymation was at a summer camp, and we did the Imovie, or whatever Movie program Microsoft has. We did a slide show at the fastest setting. It wasn't Cannes worthy or anything, but the characters all moved along, and the kids thought it was great. We linked them altogether and put a sound track on it for parent presentation day.
                            I'm looking forward trying a real claymation movie uploaded this next next time.
                            Thanks cable name, Mrs. Vickie :)
                            Brandy

                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "christinereg" <christinereg@...> wrote:

                            > I am currently doing clay animation with my junior high kids. I have photos already from my digital camera, but I don't know what software to download/purchase. I just want something easy, a plug and play kind of program that will put my photos together quickly into an animated film. Any ideas? Thanks!
                            >
                            > Christine
                            >
                            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Vickie Ahearn <vahearn@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Never heard the term grabber before. I use a firewire cable (IEEE 1394
                            > > High Speed Serial Bus) - it transmits data to and from high-bandwidth
                            > > digital devices faster than USB.
                            > >
                            > > Vickie

                          • azalea64es
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 29 4:17 AM
                              wow great experience, please put it the movie in this site so we can watch such an interesting idea....
                              janet

                              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Brandy" <bergiemoore@...> wrote:

                              > The last time we did claymation was at a summer camp, and we did the Imovie, or whatever Movie program Microsoft has. We did a slide show at the fastest setting. It wasn't Cannes worthy or anything, but the characters all moved along, and the kids thought it was great. We linked them altogether and put a sound track on it for parent presentation day.
                              > I'm looking forward trying a real claymation movie uploaded this next next time.
                              > Thanks cable name, Mrs. Vickie :)
                              > Brandy
                              >
                              > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "christinereg" <christinereg@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I am currently doing clay animation with my junior high kids. I have photos already from my digital camera, but I don't know what software to download/purchase. I just want something easy, a plug and play kind of program that will put my photos together quickly into an animated film. Any ideas? Thanks!
                              > >
                              > > Christine
                              > >
                              > > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Vickie Ahearn <vahearn@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Never heard the term grabber before. I use a firewire cable (IEEE 1394
                              > > > High Speed Serial Bus) - it transmits data to and from high-bandwidth
                              > > > digital devices faster than USB.
                              > > >
                              > > > Vickie

                            • mykgerard
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 30 3:16 PM
                                If you are doing it on the cheap on a pc, I would suggest monkeyjam for putting your animations together. That's what i used with my students stop-motion animation

                                http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/download.html

                                warmest regards,

                                Michael Gerard
                              • marisa
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 31 12:30 PM
                                  I teach animation and media arts for a program called Adobe Youth Voices. We recently started a website called Adobe Youth Voices Essentials http://essentials.youthvoices.adobe.com/ where teachers can download lesson plans related to about 5 different media topics. We have sample work and 12 weeks of lessons for each unit. It's free but you have to sign up. Please check it out. I created a good how to handout on Stop Motion Animation.

                                  Let me know if you have animation questions, I love teaching stop motion. There's lots of good sample work on the Adobe Youth Voices gallery. Here's a favorite that I worked on with an elementary class last year, it'll brighten your day guaranteed: http://youthvoices.adobe.com/youth-media-gallery/media/214

                                  Best,
                                  marisa

                                  here are some programs that allow you to do animation:

                                  Mac and PC

                                  Premiere Elements is an affordable, entry-level editing software that includes a built-in stop motion
                                  animation program. (Price approx $65).

                                  Scratch is a free programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories,
                                  animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the web. Scratch works on a Mac or a
                                  PC and was developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. http://scratch.mit.edu/

                                  Mac

                                  iStopMotion for Mac costs $49 (education price) and is available from www.boinx.com

                                  FrameByFrame is a simple and very decent freeware stop motion program for Macs. It even has onion-
                                  skinning!

                                  You can also use a digital still camera to create simple stop motion using iPhoto and iMovie (both of
                                  which come standard on all Macs). There aren't as many options available, but it's free! Here's a tutorial:

                                  PC

                                  Helium Frog is a freeware stop motion program for PC's and is available for download here:

                                • Makio Kawashima
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 7, 2011
                                    Dear all,

                                    A Painting of Encouragement to Japan.
                                    Earthquake, Tsunami.
                                    Enjoy the videos and I hope Mt. Fuji can brighten your day.
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYuib2fFUyE

                                    Thanks

                                    Makio KAWASHIMA
                                    Art e-Learning Center