Re: [art_education] D of Ed.

  • Lea Guzman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17 7:35 AM
      Hi all!

      I've been teaching art for 6 years now, although I do have a fine arts degree.I am wondering and would like to seek your advice - what should be my next step? Should I take a certificate in education? Or should I enroll in a masters program? Which masters program? What are the courses?

      Sorry I still have a lot of questions and I would really appreciate your input in this. I only have 600$ as our Pro-D and I really don't have that much of a budget.

      Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by mobily

      From: "Jill Lutes" <LUTESJ@...>
      Sender: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 10:46:40 -0400
      To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [art_education] D of Ed.

      Where do you teach?

      >>> abenton@... 5/13/2011 10:45:04 AM >>>
      Hi Everyone,

      I am thinking about getting my doctorate of education in art education.
      Do you recommend any programs? I teach full time, so I'm looking for
      online or weekends. Thanks in advance, Ali k-4 (next year H.S. because
      of budget cuts)

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 12 , May 18 5:42 AM
        With online programs- BUYERS BEWARE! It is up to you to make sure that "school" you are paying top dollar to is accredited regionally. National accreditation, oddly, is easier to obtain and may not be suitably vetted in order to gain the extra pay for your extra work. There was a big blow up last year that schools like Devry and Phoenix were receiving federal aid as student took online courses (which has changed and they are no longer able to receive F.aid), but were not accredited, and essentially were diploma mills & were worthless to state and government workers. A principal, who got her advanced degree with one of these online schools, was demoted after the state found out and then made to pay back the difference in her salary. There are plenty of accredited online program, usually connected with existing universities. They cost more, but are actually worth the paper the printed on in the end.
        Good luck,
        Brandy

        Here's an article on general online diploma mills-
        http://www.degree.net/diploma-mills/diploma-mills_201001012313.html

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@...> wrote:

        > For anyone else contemplating a doctorate in education I did some research. There are quite a few online programs that you can do at your own pace. The cost for the programs is expensive (unless your district would pay- mine will not). 360 Education solutions has a lot of information and they will pass your info on to schools (expect a call if you give your info). Instead, I think I will put the $ I would have spent into additional "fun" certifications like PMC and Zentangles and fortify my IRA. ALi
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks Mrs. Prior
        > >
        > > I was under the impression that a doctorate in education was not a phD. I'm looking into a D of ed. b/c I may want to teach college (art ed.)down the road. I need professional development anyway, so I might as well put it toward something. ALi

      • Gayle Parent
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18 6:37 AM
          What is a PMC certification?
          Gayle
        • henlaojim
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18 11:45 AM
            For ALi"
            Some schools offer Ph. D. and some offer Ed. D. in art education. Some even offer either one and the only difference is the foreign language requirement. The only difference in result is that the Ph. D. is considered more prestigious.

            My humble opinion is that the on line degree from some for profit school is a waste of money. In my humble opinion, however, any doctorate in art education is a waste of time and money. There isn't that much to learn about art teaching that anyone in or outside of the field will be taken as a matter of expertise.

            The only thing the doctorate does is keep a small number of people employed teaching graduate classes to a small number of students. An undergrad class needs twenty or thirty students, but a graduate seminar only needs five or six...your mileage may vary.

            If you are determined you might as well hang a millstone around your neck and jump off the pier, the effect is more or less the same.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@...> wrote:

            > For anyone else contemplating a doctorate in education I did some research. There are quite a few online programs that you can do at your own pace. The cost for the programs is expensive (unless your district would pay- mine will not). 360 Education solutions has a lot of information and they will pass your info on to schools (expect a call if you give your info). Instead, I think I will put the $ I would have spent into additional "fun" certifications like PMC and Zentangles and fortify my IRA. ALi
            >
            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks Mrs. Prior
            > >
            > > I was under the impression that a doctorate in education was not a phD. I'm looking into a D of ed. b/c I may want to teach college (art ed.)down the road. I need professional development anyway, so I might as well put it toward something. ALi

          • aliteachesart
            Message 5 of 12 , May 20 7:46 AM
              HI Lea,

              You will find training in education helpful in your teaching, but the fact you've been teaching for 6 years means you've learned most of what they will teach you the hard way! You can look into a masters program that will also give you your certification. I recommend state college programs. You get what you put into it, and they are much more affordable. $600 will get you about half a 3 credit class at a state school. I assume you teach at a private school; find out how much your pay will advance with certification, if you are planning to stay there you might prefer to take specific workshops or professional development. Some states have alternative pathways to certification too, in New York you can check with your local BOCES for information and help. Check your state's DOE website. I have a MA in Curriculum and Instruction, I found it really helped me hone my teaching and incorporate more "best practices" in my program. Good luck to you! Ali
            • aliteachesart
              Message 6 of 12 , May 20 7:48 AM
                PMC is Precious Metal Clay. You can get certified as an instructor and get a discount on materials through Rio Grande. Other brands of metal clay have certifications also. ALi

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Gayle Parent <gayleparent@...> wrote:

                > What is a PMC certification?
                > Gayle

              • Lea Guzman
                Message 7 of 12 , May 20 5:10 PM
                  Hi ali,
                  Thanks for the advice. I would really appreciate it if there were state colleges here in Jeddah but as it is online courses would be preferable. Are there any on line masters that is available?
                  You are right, teaching art for 6 years had taught me a lot of experience including all trial and error. But I do love to challenge my  students. I was teaching elementary art for 2 1/2 years then got transferred to middle school and high school. It has been worthwhile  and it get frustrating once and a while. But still the LOVE is there.

                  Thanks and best to you and your family,
                  Lea

                  Sent from my iPhone